HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 27th February 2020  7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend. Chairman welcomed Derek Holmes of Daniel Robinson & Sons to the meeting.
MINUTES
of  20th January 2020  had been circulated and were adopted

Chairman then asked DEREK  HOLMES if he would like to speak as it was known that he had another appointment later that evening.  Derek said that Daniel Robinson & Sons would be pleased to provide transport for the judging tours around Halstead again this year, and that Derek himself would drive the vehicle.  Derek also said that one of his team would like permission to film the tours; permission was readily given.  Derek made it known that Daniel Robinson & Sons would be prepared to sponsor a race at the forthcoming Race Night, but was told that all races are now sponsored.  Derek said that some raffle prizes would be given for the evening – all proceeds from the evening would be donated to Halstead in Bloom.  Chairman thanked Derek for this most welcome news, and asked that team’s thanks be passed on to Directors and Management of Daniel Robinson & Sons.
NEWS:   *Letter from Doctor’s Surgery was read thanking the team for the work done at Surgery internal garden.  Joan said that some remedial work on the bamboo sprouts in the garden would be done when the weather improves – HiB will maintain this garden in the near future.  *Letter from David Tarbun following his birthday party at Hyacinth Tearooms earlier in the month was read.  David was pleased to host the party and provide tea and cakes and thanked the team for the planted pot that was given to him on that day. *Bluebridge Cart and Sudbury Rd. Seed Drill.  Graham has made a new metal surround for the cart. Some second hand scaffold boards have been donated by DMC Scaffolding of Gosfield and they will be cut and fixed to make the body.  Grandstyle Windows have some strong membrane to line the body and help with preservation of the wood.  Annie will paint the cart when it is back together.  Seed Drill is in a poor state, but Graham reckons it can be ‘bodged’ for another summer season.  Bellway Homes have been written to and asked if they will help to remove the item to another place for proper repairs, or if they can repair it for us.  No reply has been received so far.  Carol offered to visit the Site Office and speak to Manager there to see if some resolution can be found.  *Climate Emergency-Water Crisis an event arranged by CPRE is to be held in Peterborough on 29th April, 9.30am-3.45pm.  Graham has asked to attend.  Full details can be found at www.suffolksociety/org/climate-emergency-water-crisis/ *Firemen’s Assistance. Halstead Station Watch Manager, Steve Byrne, has said that it may be possible for the Fire Brigade to help HiB with some water in the summer months.  Post meeting note: Head Office is querying whether this will be possible – watch this space! *Letter –  David Finch. Leader Essex CC. Following last month’s meeting a letter was written and replies have been received: 1) Q: Can HiB paint the front door of the Library? A: Library is a Grade 2 listed building so advice from Property team is being sought.  Answers will be given.  2) Q: Fountain at Mount Hill damaged (now part is missing). A: After much investigation it is confirmed this is not an ECC asset. Matter has been passed to BDC. Margaret E has spoken with Halstead Town Clerk and there is irrefutable evidence that this is an ECC asset. 3) Q. Dirty bus shelter in Colne Road. A: ECC does not hold a record of bus shelter at this site.  Suggest that HTC or BDC may have installed without knowledge or agreement of ECC.  ??? 4) Q. Overdue repairs to pavements in Colchester Road. A: There are plans to include part of Colchester Road in the 20/21 Minor Slurry Seal Capital Scheme – works to be from the Blue Bridge area to High Street.  Programme is yet to be finalised but full information can be found on www.essexhighways.org/interactive-maps-and-live-travel-information/highways-information-map.aspx. As Colchester Road is a priority route, which is inspected on a monthly basis, all existing defects will continue to be monitored and any deterioration recorded will be dealt with accordingly. *Tree Charter It was noted that Halstead TC has signed up to the Tree Charter.  Also noted that Essex CC has 38000 trees to give away – but it isn’t known the variety of these trees.  Joan asked if there are fruit trees could they be included in the wild life garden.  Annie asked if the tree at Mill Chase could be replaced (will have to liaise with BDC for both these requests).  Ian T said that there is a minimum plant of 10Ha laid down for each District Council and maintenance of planted whips is in question.  It is felt better to maintain existing, mature trees than to plant new trees.
EVENTS:  **RiverCare.  Next event is Sunday 1st March Meet 10am at Sainsbury’s Car Park. *Next Community Litter Pick. Sunday 29th March – this will be our contribution to the Great British Spring Clean.  ALL WELCOME.  Meet 10.30am at Sainsbury’s Car Park. *Visit to Gestingthorpe 17th March. 22 people have asked to attend.  Transport by group will be arranged – speak to Margaret E if you need transport.   *HiB AGM for 2019 will be held on 20th March 2020 at the United Reformed Church, Joan has arranged for Peter Miller of  Kings Seeds will give a talk. Team to bring plate of food as usual.  There will be a raffle.  Posters are available to be put up in various shops, notice boards, etc.  Let me know if you need copy(s). *Race Night is organised at the Con Club for 4th April. All races now sponsored, horses are now being sold.  Will be widely advertised – now need to get people to attend the races! *VE Day Celebrations Bank Holiday, Friday 8th May in Halstead Public Gardens.  HiB to have a stall. Can we dress 1940’s to suit?  Margaret E has some period recipes and Thelma has some period recipe books. Maybe we can plant some veg.seeds instead of the usual sunflower seeds?  We can make some fabric bunting (Joan asked for some to be put at Weavers’ Court).  More details to follow.  *Halstead Marathon. 10th May. Volunteer marshalls’ details were collected – if you would like to help please let me know and I will pass on details. *Summer Plant collection is booked for 30th/ 31st May 2020 – van is booked!! *Halstead Flower Festival at St. Andrew’s Church will be celebrating 700 years of history through hymns.  HiB will have a display – hymn still to be identified!  Festival will be 3rd/4th/5th July. More details to follow. *Children’s Competition 2020 Margaret T said that her ideas for this year include Small Bug Boxes and also Grow 3 Herbs.  *HiB meal. Marie Hughes had asked Margaret to  apologise if some meals were not up to expected standard this year.  The cooker at St. Andrew’s Hall was not working – and had been broken for some time, apparently and some improvisation had to take place.  All agreed that this was a lovely event, and although some dishes weren’t as warm as could have been hoped everyone was smiling and there were lots of happy faces.  Thank you Marie, we enjoyed the evening very much!  Cost of the hall will be £50 – to be paid in April.
 ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM’20  Anglia in Bloom Spring Launch will be on 25th March at Peter Beales Roses, Attleborough – NR17 1AY – at a cost of £15 per person.  14 people have asked to attend.  Transport will be arranged.  If you haven’t yet asked to attend, please give your name to Margaret E as soon as possible.
RHS BRITAIN  IN  BLOOM ’20  Seminar on 21st Feb was attended by Joan and Annie who both found it useful and helpful.  Annie attended a workshop about Portfolio and Publicity.  Our portfolio was held up as being ‘good’ with lots of pictures and narrative underneath.  It was suggested that perhaps the age group 25/35 might be attracted to a HiB Instagram page?  Can anyone manage this?  Also suggested that stats for our Facebook page be recorded – Oliver does this for us.   Our judges will be Rae Beckwith and Ian Beaney (who was last here in 2014). Both judges seem to have a good sense of humour!  Copies of the judges’ comments at that time were available.  It was suggested that the route needs to be walked (nearer to judging time) and also travelled from end to start.  There are 74 entrants taking part, 10 entrants in the Town group (of which Halstead is one).  We have 2½ hours to impress plus 15 minutes for presentation and 15minutes allowed for press.  It was said that timings should be kept, although a few minutes over wouldn’t be frowned upon.  Judges will be happy to have some sort of reception after judging.  It was said that anyone speaking to the judges must be fully rehearsed!!  It was thought that we should have a ‘dress rehearsal’ nearer to judging day, this to be at the time of day (or as near to as possible) when the real event takes place.  Proposed route to be timed before next meeting: Start at British Legion.  Walk along Causeway to Bridge. Drive, via Butler Road, to Adams Court. Drive to Trinity School. Walk to Public Gardens and through the Gardens. Drive to Hume’s. Walk to Fountain. Walk to and through Church yard – enter from Market Hill, walk to Main door, walk to Parsonage Street.  Drive to Loom.  Drive to Mill Chase.  Drive to Coggeshall Pieces.  Drive, via Road Runners’ Bed and through cemetery to Resource Centre (enter by back gate). Drive to Guides’ allotment.

The Awards Day will be on 16th October (day of our Quiz!!) and will be an all-day event, in Manchester.  The system of choosing a Champion of Champions has been changed this year – this accolade will be awarded to one of the entrants on the day of Awards.  Could it be Halstead?!!!  As already advertised it was decided to go ahead with the Quiz Night as arranged – messages will be sent through from the Awards!

*Loom Garden. Annie is still collecting coloured plastic – please hand your contributions to Annie at a Tuesday working party, or at any other suitable time. Thelma offered to act as recipient of contributions!  Annie said that a start will be made on making the ‘cascade’ very soon before we get too busy with other work.

WORKING  PARTIESFor all working parties meet at 2pm. on Town Bridge/Halstead Icing car park unless advised otherwise 3rd March. Alan, Pauline and Linda to be with Joan at the Churchyard to completely dig out the bed near to church door.  Joan hopes to have this planted with plants that would have been used 700 years ago.  Rest of team to be dead heading at this time.  10th March. Weed in Kings Road.  17th March Will be the visit to Gestingthorpe.  24th March. Team to be working in Churchyard.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS:  *New Logo. Mock up of letterhead/compliment slip using Nicky’s artwork was shown and it was agreed that this did not do the artwork justice.  Some designs by Carol’s daughter were shown.  Further investigations to be made.  *New containers for 2020 List was revisited.  It was suggested that some new containers in Butler Road Car Park and under the Butler Road sign would be ideal.  Joan to view and decisions to be made soon.  *To Do List 2020 still ongoing.  *Notelets for Halstead no suitable cards have been found at present.  *Volunteer Hours. March will be the 6th month that hours are being counted (hopefully they are!!!) and new sheets to take us up to end June will be available at next meeting.  These hours are important to show to judges just how many people spend so much time working for Halstead.  Please keep a note of all volunteering hours spent and total them up so that we can show judges for Anglia in Bloom and RHS Britain in bloom when they visit.  *Ian asked when the bamboo in the Surgery Garden would be treated – he was  told it will probably be April when weather is more suitable for this work.  *Colin asked if HiB could have a working party at Adams Court to help in areas that he can’t manage.  Joan said that this can be arranged at any time and urged Colin to just ask.  *Ian Tinton spoke on behalf of the Chamber of Trade and said that their Constitution had now been agreed and signed off.  He said that good relations had been forged with Braintree DC and were now looking for premises to hold monthly meetings.  *Joyce asked if anything can be done to persuade shop owners to clean and tidy up their premises – not just at ground level but on first/second floors too!  Ian T said this had been tried, but not much uptake for available cash had been made.  *Margaret T spoke about the drinking fountain on Mount Hill and said that part of it was now missing.  (see above reply from Cllr David Finch ECC).  *Joan said she had been contacted by Baldwin’s store re. the displays at The Centre that have been eaten by muntjack deer.   Colin suggested that carbolic soap be used to deter them.  Joan will source some soap.  *Annie asked if a record was kept of the number of bags collected at monthly community litter picks – it is thought that Christine is keeping a log.  *Nicky advised that the green bin placed at The Empire had not been collected as arranged.  This will be reported.

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.14 p.m.

Next team meeting on   Thursday 26th March  2020   7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing.
All welcome

ContactsMargaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

 

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk        Facebook: halsteadinbloom.    giveasyoulive.com/join/halstead-in-bloom
join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity to donate via Co-op purchases.

**Also now note the Virgin Money Just G

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 27th February 2020  7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend. Chairman welcomed Derek Holmes of Daniel Robinson & Sons to the meeting.
MINUTES
of  20th January 2020  had been circulated and were adopted

Chairman then asked DEREK  HOLMES if he would like to speak as it was known that he had another appointment later that evening.  Derek said that Daniel Robinson & Sons would be pleased to provide transport for the judging tours around Halstead again this year, and that Derek himself would drive the vehicle.  Derek also said that one of his team would like permission to film the tours; permission was readily given.  Derek made it known that Daniel Robinson & Sons would be prepared to sponsor a race at the forthcoming Race Night, but was told that all races are now sponsored.  Derek said that some raffle prizes would be given for the evening – all proceeds from the evening would be donated to Halstead in Bloom.  Chairman thanked Derek for this most welcome news, and asked that team’s thanks be passed on to Directors and Management of Daniel Robinson & Sons.
NEWS:   *Letter from Doctor’s Surgery was read thanking the team for the work done at Surgery internal garden.  Joan said that some remedial work on the bamboo sprouts in the garden would be done when the weather improves – HiB will maintain this garden in the near future.  *Letter from David Tarbun following his birthday party at Hyacinth Tearooms earlier in the month was read.  David was pleased to host the party and provide tea and cakes and thanked the team for the planted pot that was given to him on that day. *Bluebridge Cart and Sudbury Rd. Seed Drill.  Graham has made a new metal surround for the cart. Some second hand scaffold boards have been donated by DMC Scaffolding of Gosfield and they will be cut and fixed to make the body.  Grandstyle Windows have some strong membrane to line the body and help with preservation of the wood.  Annie will paint the cart when it is back together.  Seed Drill is in a poor state, but Graham reckons it can be ‘bodged’ for another summer season.  Bellway Homes have been written to and asked if they will help to remove the item to another place for proper repairs, or if they can repair it for us.  No reply has been received so far.  Carol offered to visit the Site Office and speak to Manager there to see if some resolution can be found.  *Climate Emergency-Water Crisis an event arranged by CPRE is to be held in Peterborough on 29th April, 9.30am-3.45pm.  Graham has asked to attend.  Full details can be found at www.suffolksociety/org/climate-emergency-water-crisis/ *Firemen’s Assistance. Halstead Station Watch Manager, Steve Byrne, has said that it may be possible for the Fire Brigade to help HiB with some water in the summer months.  Post meeting note: Head Office is querying whether this will be possible – watch this space! *Letter –  David Finch. Leader Essex CC. Following last month’s meeting a letter was written and replies have been received: 1) Q: Can HiB paint the front door of the Library? A: Library is a Grade 2 listed building so advice from Property team is being sought.  Answers will be given.  2) Q: Fountain at Mount Hill damaged (now part is missing). A: After much investigation it is confirmed this is not an ECC asset. Matter has been passed to BDC. Margaret E has spoken with Halstead Town Clerk and there is irrefutable evidence that this is an ECC asset. 3) Q. Dirty bus shelter in Colne Road. A: ECC does not hold a record of bus shelter at this site.  Suggest that HTC or BDC may have installed without knowledge or agreement of ECC.  ??? 4) Q. Overdue repairs to pavements in Colchester Road. A: There are plans to include part of Colchester Road in the 20/21 Minor Slurry Seal Capital Scheme – works to be from the Blue Bridge area to High Street.  Programme is yet to be finalised but full information can be found on www.essexhighways.org/interactive-maps-and-live-travel-information/highways-information-map.aspx. As Colchester Road is a priority route, which is inspected on a monthly basis, all existing defects will continue to be monitored and any deterioration recorded will be dealt with accordingly. *Tree Charter It was noted that Halstead TC has signed up to the Tree Charter.  Also noted that Essex CC has 38000 trees to give away – but it isn’t known the variety of these trees.  Joan asked if there are fruit trees could they be included in the wild life garden.  Annie asked if the tree at Mill Chase could be replaced (will have to liaise with BDC for both these requests).  Ian T said that there is a minimum plant of 10Ha laid down for each District Council and maintenance of planted whips is in question.  It is felt better to maintain existing, mature trees than to plant new trees.
EVENTS:  **RiverCare.  Next event is Sunday 1st March Meet 10am at Sainsbury’s Car Park. *Next Community Litter Pick. Sunday 29th March – this will be our contribution to the Great British Spring Clean.  ALL WELCOME.  Meet 10.30am at Sainsbury’s Car Park. *Visit to Gestingthorpe 17th March. 22 people have asked to attend.  Transport by group will be arranged – speak to Margaret E if you need transport.   *HiB AGM for 2019 will be held on 20th March 2020 at the United Reformed Church, Joan has arranged for Peter Miller of  Kings Seeds will give a talk. Team to bring plate of food as usual.  There will be a raffle.  Posters are available to be put up in various shops, notice boards, etc.  Let me know if you need copy(s). *Race Night is organised at the Con Club for 4th April. All races now sponsored, horses are now being sold.  Will be widely advertised – now need to get people to attend the races! *VE Day Celebrations Bank Holiday, Friday 8th May in Halstead Public Gardens.  HiB to have a stall. Can we dress 1940’s to suit?  Margaret E has some period recipes and Thelma has some period recipe books. Maybe we can plant some veg.seeds instead of the usual sunflower seeds?  We can make some fabric bunting (Joan asked for some to be put at Weavers’ Court).  More details to follow.  *Halstead Marathon. 10th May. Volunteer marshalls’ details were collected – if you would like to help please let me know and I will pass on details. *Summer Plant collection is booked for 30th/ 31st May 2020 – van is booked!! *Halstead Flower Festival at St. Andrew’s Church will be celebrating 700 years of history through hymns.  HiB will have a display – hymn still to be identified!  Festival will be 3rd/4th/5th July. More details to follow. *Children’s Competition 2020 Margaret T said that her ideas for this year include Small Bug Boxes and also Grow 3 Herbs.  *HiB meal. Marie Hughes had asked Margaret to  apologise if some meals were not up to expected standard this year.  The cooker at St. Andrew’s Hall was not working – and had been broken for some time, apparently and some improvisation had to take place.  All agreed that this was a lovely event, and although some dishes weren’t as warm as could have been hoped everyone was smiling and there were lots of happy faces.  Thank you Marie, we enjoyed the evening very much!  Cost of the hall will be £50 – to be paid in April.
 ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM’20  Anglia in Bloom Spring Launch will be on 25th March at Peter Beales Roses, Attleborough – NR17 1AY – at a cost of £15 per person.  14 people have asked to attend.  Transport will be arranged.  If you haven’t yet asked to attend, please give your name to Margaret E as soon as possible.
RHS BRITAIN  IN  BLOOM ’20  Seminar on 21st Feb was attended by Joan and Annie who both found it useful and helpful.  Annie attended a workshop about Portfolio and Publicity.  Our portfolio was held up as being ‘good’ with lots of pictures and narrative underneath.  It was suggested that perhaps the age group 25/35 might be attracted to a HiB Instagram page?  Can anyone manage this?  Also suggested that stats for our Facebook page be recorded – Oliver does this for us.   Our judges will be Rae Beckwith and Ian Beaney (who was last here in 2014). Both judges seem to have a good sense of humour!  Copies of the judges’ comments at that time were available.  It was suggested that the route needs to be walked (nearer to judging time) and also travelled from end to start.  There are 74 entrants taking part, 10 entrants in the Town group (of which Halstead is one).  We have 2½ hours to impress plus 15 minutes for presentation and 15minutes allowed for press.  It was said that timings should be kept, although a few minutes over wouldn’t be frowned upon.  Judges will be happy to have some sort of reception after judging.  It was said that anyone speaking to the judges must be fully rehearsed!!  It was thought that we should have a ‘dress rehearsal’ nearer to judging day, this to be at the time of day (or as near to as possible) when the real event takes place.  Proposed route to be timed before next meeting: Start at British Legion.  Walk along Causeway to Bridge. Drive, via Butler Road, to Adams Court. Drive to Trinity School. Walk to Public Gardens and through the Gardens. Drive to Hume’s. Walk to Fountain. Walk to and through Church yard – enter from Market Hill, walk to Main door, walk to Parsonage Street.  Drive to Loom.  Drive to Mill Chase.  Drive to Coggeshall Pieces.  Drive, via Road Runners’ Bed and through cemetery to Resource Centre (enter by back gate). Drive to Guides’ allotment.

The Awards Day will be on 16th October (day of our Quiz!!) and will be an all-day event, in Manchester.  The system of choosing a Champion of Champions has been changed this year – this accolade will be awarded to one of the entrants on the day of Awards.  Could it be Halstead?!!!  As already advertised it was decided to go ahead with the Quiz Night as arranged – messages will be sent through from the Awards!

*Loom Garden. Annie is still collecting coloured plastic – please hand your contributions to Annie at a Tuesday working party, or at any other suitable time. Thelma offered to act as recipient of contributions!  Annie said that a start will be made on making the ‘cascade’ very soon before we get too busy with other work.

WORKING  PARTIESFor all working parties meet at 2pm. on Town Bridge/Halstead Icing car park unless advised otherwise 3rd March. Alan, Pauline and Linda to be with Joan at the Churchyard to completely dig out the bed near to church door.  Joan hopes to have this planted with plants that would have been used 700 years ago.  Rest of team to be dead heading at this time.  10th March. Weed in Kings Road.  17th March Will be the visit to Gestingthorpe.  24th March. Team to be working in Churchyard.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS:  *New Logo. Mock up of letterhead/compliment slip using Nicky’s artwork was shown and it was agreed that this did not do the artwork justice.  Some designs by Carol’s daughter were shown.  Further investigations to be made.  *New containers for 2020 List was revisited.  It was suggested that some new containers in Butler Road Car Park and under the Butler Road sign would be ideal.  Joan to view and decisions to be made soon.  *To Do List 2020 still ongoing.  *Notelets for Halstead no suitable cards have been found at present.  *Volunteer Hours. March will be the 6th month that hours are being counted (hopefully they are!!!) and new sheets to take us up to end June will be available at next meeting.  These hours are important to show to judges just how many people spend so much time working for Halstead.  Please keep a note of all volunteering hours spent and total them up so that we can show judges for Anglia in Bloom and RHS Britain in bloom when they visit.  *Ian asked when the bamboo in the Surgery Garden would be treated – he was  told it will probably be April when weather is more suitable for this work.  *Colin asked if HiB could have a working party at Adams Court to help in areas that he can’t manage.  Joan said that this can be arranged at any time and urged Colin to just ask.  *Ian Tinton spoke on behalf of the Chamber of Trade and said that their Constitution had now been agreed and signed off.  He said that good relations had been forged with Braintree DC and were now looking for premises to hold monthly meetings.  *Joyce asked if anything can be done to persuade shop owners to clean and tidy up their premises – not just at ground level but on first/second floors too!  Ian T said this had been tried, but not much uptake for available cash had been made.  *Margaret T spoke about the drinking fountain on Mount Hill and said that part of it was now missing.  (see above reply from Cllr David Finch ECC).  *Joan said she had been contacted by Baldwin’s store re. the displays at The Centre that have been eaten by muntjack deer.   Colin suggested that carbolic soap be used to deter them.  Joan will source some soap.  *Annie asked if a record was kept of the number of bags collected at monthly community litter picks – it is thought that Christine is keeping a log.  *Nicky advised that the green bin placed at The Empire had not been collected as arranged.  This will be reported.

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.14 p.m.

Next team meeting on   Thursday 26th March  2020   7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing.
All welcome

ContactsMargaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

 

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk        Facebook: halsteadinbloom.    giveasyoulive.com/join/halstead-in-bloom
join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity to donate via Co-op purchases.

**Also now note the Virgin Money Just G