HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 27th June 2019  7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing

 

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.
Chairman welcomed Pat who had been attending working parties for a couple of months, but this was her first team meeting and also Eileen Penn, Rivercare Group and 21st Century Group.

 

MINUTES of  30th May had been circulated and were adopted
NEWS:   *Flower Festival It was believed that there was good attendance at the Festival and that in general it was better than last year with some colourful displays.  It is hoped that it was financially successful and that there will be another event in 2020.  Halstead in Bloom was proud to be associated with this event. *River Colne Update – John Smith called another meeting for 26th June, and a representative of Environment Agency was present.  Meeting was very positive with a willingness by EA to look at taking some ‘refurbishment’ further.  The officer present will speak with some colleagues who have experience of this type of work and it is hoped that some co-operation with EECOS (affiliated to Essex Wildlife Trust) will be possible.  EECOS will hopefully be able to draw up a plan and costings for work to improve the ecology and appearance of the river and EA will have some funding for works.  Volunteer work could begin to clear some of the vegetation but approval will need to be given by EA and some plans for taking away debris will need to be in place.  It was said that EA will not give any funding to ‘a group of residents’ and discussion took place with the team regarding the possibility of HiB being a formal body to manage finances, etc.  Trustees were in agreement and a vote was taken with all members present voting in agreement.  A further meeting of the small River committee will take place towards end of July and progress will be reported.  *Richard de Clare 150yr celebrations were attended for HiB by Wendy and Iola also attended (both are former teachers at the School.)  They reported a lovely day with each class celebrating something in the 150 year history of the school.  There were some musical items and a tour around the school.  Day ended with a pic-nic in the playground.  Well done Richard de Clare School!  *Halstead Road Runners and the London Marathon. HRR asked if HiB would consider putting in an application for next year which we did and HiB has been awarded a charity place.  One of the Road Runners will run for HiB and a Virgin Money Fund raising page is being set up to receive donations.  Sue suggested that perhaps one of the individuals who have been given a place might consider running for HiB.  This will be explored when all is up and running.  *Facebook comments. Oliver has spoken to the complainant and all is now sorted.  Thank you Oliver, we don’t like to cause any difficulties.
EVENTS:  **Rivercare.  Next event is Sunday 7th July..  Meet 10am at Sainsbury’s Car Park. *Next Community Litter Pick. Sunday 30th June, then 18th July ALL WELCOME.  Meet 10.30am at Sainsbury’s Car Park.  *HiB Quiz for 2019.  Friday 18th October.  *Mayor’s Fair that will take place in aid of Mayor’s Charity 2019 (Halstead Day Centre) is on 3rd August but HiB won’t be able to take part in this event.
LOCAL  GARDEN  COMPETITON.  17  entries have been received so far – could do with more!  All past judges have agreed to take part this year, for which we are grateful.  Some posters/entry forms are available, contact me if required.  Judging Assistants volunteers are as follows:  Margaret E with Wendy Schmitt (if Sunday judging is OK with Wendy); Margaret T with Charles Soule for Allotment judging on Saturday; John and Alison Brett will be accompanied by David T on Saturday; Sue Wilson will be with Annie on Saturday; Ian will accompany Steve Kirby on Sunday; Thelma and Joyce will accompany Lady Fiona Wilson on Sunday and Margaret E will accompany Chairman of BDC Angela Kilmartin on Saturday.  We didn’t assign anyone with Lyn Walters on Saturday 20th – volunteers please!  We may not need all judges if we have no more entries – but entry doesn’t close until 12th July. Thank you to all volunteers – I will give judges your contact details and the list of entries to be judged will be available from Tuesday 16th July.  Christine asked if entrants could be requested to submit photos of their gardens to be put on a scrolling screen presentation on Awards Day.  Note will be added to notification of judging letters.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM’19.         DATE FOR ANGLIA IN BLOOM – 24th July (10am to 4.30pm)
RHS BRITAIN  IN  BLOOM ’19  . DATE FOR BRITAIN IN BLOOM – 1st August (9am to 12noon)
Routes for both tours were available and timings were discussed.  Those who will be holding display boards for judges are as follows:  Oliver – The Causeway; Halstead Public Gardens – Margaret T (Iola and Wendy will be at the special bed celebrating 75years of Halstead Townswomen’s Guild); Christine and Young Bloom team will walk judges from the Public Gardens and show them around the entry at HT School; Adams Court –  Joyce and Pat will be at the Sustainable Front Garden and Vegetable Garden; Mill Chase P.F. – Annie and Mike (a comfort break at Annie and Mike’s House will be offered to Anglia in Bloom judges, and some drinks and biscuits will be available at the Playing Field);  Coggeshall Pieces and Hawthorn Close – Carol will take both boards;  Resource Centre – Jenny and Mary S; Parsonage St. Businesses/Fire Station and River Walk – Fiona and Sheila; Guides’ Allotment – Margaret T and guides/brownies/rainbows.  Debra will take down the display boards at The Bull and deliver them to Bowls Club to set them up for lunch time viewing. (do you need help Debra?).  David, Ian and Alan will be the ‘scouting party’ for both tours.  Margaret E and Joan will accompany Judges. Julia will time-keep.  Mayor and one other Councillor will meet both sets of judges at The Bull to welcome them to Halstead.  All are invited to lunch at Bowls Club.

Some necessary works – mainly weeding! – were identified: Trinity Court (Greenfields assure this is in hand), Courtaulds Close (again, Greenfields have this in hand) , Beridge Road/Colne Valley Close/Butler Road have weeds and Butler Road Car Park is weedy and gutters are blocked. There is a hedge near to Courtaulds Close that needs to be cut back (residential? if so, resident has to be asked if we can cut – Council’s won’t be able to do this work). Some weeding needs to be done at Trinity School.  Sue, Carol and Linda will sort area Bois Hall Gardens to Colne Road.  Margaret T advised that there is damage to the Cemetery Wall in Colne Road (will be reported).  Annie suggested that some working parties be arranged to ‘blitz’ various areas.  Will be taken forward.  Iola and two of Margaret’s Guides will take on watering of the large tubs in Parsonage St. (Annie has some phormiums donated by Jackie and Ted Hawkes that might be suitable for large tubs?  Joan to be asked.)
*Children’s Competition. Margaret T has 10 confirmed entries.  Charles Soule is happy to judge the entries.

WORKING  PARTIESFor all working parties meet at 2pm. on Town Bridge/Halstead Icing car park unless advised otherwiseTuesday 2nd July:  Plant up large tubs in Parsonage St. and in Co-op Car Park.  Weed and tidy around Weavers’ Court.   Wednesday 3rd July: Finish surgery bed! Thursday 4th July – finish planting at The Loom  Tuesday 9th July: Dead Heading.  Thursday 11th – Resource Centre

ANY OTHER BUSINESS:    *Summer Trail. Fiona has 2 shops on board so far and will tour round on 2nd July with Margaret T to find more.  Some posters were available and will be given to schools with entry forms (more to be printed). Fiona has most of the required items.  Trail will be aimed at the summer holiday. *Eileen spoke about the Planning Application for Land East of High Street and said that 21st Century Group had arranged a meeting for Friday 28th June at Baptist Church, Hedingham Road, 7.30pm to advise residents on how to give evidence to the Planning Inspectorate to hopefully get a Public Hearing rather than a written decision about this land.  Eileen urged all to write to the Inspectorate (closing date is 3rd July) to raise objections to the application and to ask for a Public Hearing. *Carol said she had reassurance from Braintree DC that the seat removed from the end of Churchill Avenue will be repaired and replaced.  Carol spoke about the damaged light at Solar Wall, Weavers’ Court.  It will be difficult to repair as new concrete base needs to be made.  *Iola advised that the surround of Colchester Road bed is in poor condition – all the entry beds are in a similar state and decisions will need to be made over the winter period about what to do.  *Annie commented on the bedraggled flag hanging at the High Street end of the entrance to Weavers’ Court.  This is East of England Co-op property – will be reported.  *Joyce noted that weeds had been removed from around the Service Station and furniture shop in Trinity Street.  Joyce also spoke about the seats outside W.H.Smith that are badly in need of painting (it’s not known who has responsibility for these seats).  Joyce also spoke about the waist high weeds at The Centre.  This area is owned by Essex CC so it is assumed therefore that no cutting back will be done. *Margaret T spoke about a possible red paint spillage on pavement at Butler Road.  Margaret also noted some traffic road signs that have not been removed although work is complete:- near to Service Station, Trinity Street, Butler Road and Trinity Road.  Will be reported.  Margaret said that the stile had been removed on path to Box Mill but path is now open for motor bikes that could be a danger to pedestrians.  Margaret noted that a large white van is parked on verge at Parsonage Street that must be a hazard for vehicles exiting from St. Andrew’s Road.  *Linda spoke about new troughs at Oswick and she has given employees there another watering can and asked that they put one can of water on each tub on a regular basis!
*Margaret E noted that one seat at Former Post Office Forecourt is broken – has been reported.  *Ian asked if HiB will contribute to refreshment for judges – this has been offered. *Annie noted that The Bull has offered HiB team some free cold drinks at working parties.  Much appreciated!

.**********

There being no other business the meeting closed at  9.02  p.m.

Next team meeting on   Thursday 18th July 2019     7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing.     All welcome

Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443

Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com
Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk        Facebook: halsteadinbloom.    giveasyoulive.com/join/halstead-in-bloom
join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity to donate via Co-op purchases.

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 27th June 2019  7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing

 

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.
Chairman welcomed Pat who had been attending working parties for a couple of months, but this was her first team meeting and also Eileen Penn, Rivercare Group and 21st Century Group.

 

MINUTES of  30th May had been circulated and were adopted
NEWS:   *Flower Festival It was believed that there was good attendance at the Festival and that in general it was better than last year with some colourful displays.  It is hoped that it was financially successful and that there will be another event in 2020.  Halstead in Bloom was proud to be associated with this event. *River Colne Update – John Smith called another meeting for 26th June, and a representative of Environment Agency was present.  Meeting was very positive with a willingness by EA to look at taking some ‘refurbishment’ further.  The officer present will speak with some colleagues who have experience of this type of work and it is hoped that some co-operation with EECOS (affiliated to Essex Wildlife Trust) will be possible.  EECOS will hopefully be able to draw up a plan and costings for work to improve the ecology and appearance of the river and EA will have some funding for works.  Volunteer work could begin to clear some of the vegetation but approval will need to be given by EA and some plans for taking away debris will need to be in place.  It was said that EA will not give any funding to ‘a group of residents’ and discussion took place with the team regarding the possibility of HiB being a formal body to manage finances, etc.  Trustees were in agreement and a vote was taken with all members present voting in agreement.  A further meeting of the small River committee will take place towards end of July and progress will be reported.  *Richard de Clare 150yr celebrations were attended for HiB by Wendy and Iola also attended (both are former teachers at the School.)  They reported a lovely day with each class celebrating something in the 150 year history of the school.  There were some musical items and a tour around the school.  Day ended with a pic-nic in the playground.  Well done Richard de Clare School!  *Halstead Road Runners and the London Marathon. HRR asked if HiB would consider putting in an application for next year which we did and HiB has been awarded a charity place.  One of the Road Runners will run for HiB and a Virgin Money Fund raising page is being set up to receive donations.  Sue suggested that perhaps one of the individuals who have been given a place might consider running for HiB.  This will be explored when all is up and running.  *Facebook comments. Oliver has spoken to the complainant and all is now sorted.  Thank you Oliver, we don’t like to cause any difficulties.
EVENTS:  **Rivercare.  Next event is Sunday 7th July..  Meet 10am at Sainsbury’s Car Park. *Next Community Litter Pick. Sunday 30th June, then 18th July ALL WELCOME.  Meet 10.30am at Sainsbury’s Car Park.  *HiB Quiz for 2019.  Friday 18th October.  *Mayor’s Fair that will take place in aid of Mayor’s Charity 2019 (Halstead Day Centre) is on 3rd August but HiB won’t be able to take part in this event.
LOCAL  GARDEN  COMPETITON.  17  entries have been received so far – could do with more!  All past judges have agreed to take part this year, for which we are grateful.  Some posters/entry forms are available, contact me if required.  Judging Assistants volunteers are as follows:  Margaret E with Wendy Schmitt (if Sunday judging is OK with Wendy); Margaret T with Charles Soule for Allotment judging on Saturday; John and Alison Brett will be accompanied by David T on Saturday; Sue Wilson will be with Annie on Saturday; Ian will accompany Steve Kirby on Sunday; Thelma and Joyce will accompany Lady Fiona Wilson on Sunday and Margaret E will accompany Chairman of BDC Angela Kilmartin on Saturday.  We didn’t assign anyone with Lyn Walters on Saturday 20th – volunteers please!  We may not need all judges if we have no more entries – but entry doesn’t close until 12th July. Thank you to all volunteers – I will give judges your contact details and the list of entries to be judged will be available from Tuesday 16th July.  Christine asked if entrants could be requested to submit photos of their gardens to be put on a scrolling screen presentation on Awards Day.  Note will be added to notification of judging letters.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM’19.         DATE FOR ANGLIA IN BLOOM – 24th July (10am to 4.30pm)
RHS BRITAIN  IN  BLOOM ’19  . DATE FOR BRITAIN IN BLOOM – 1st August (9am to 12noon)
Routes for both tours were available and timings were discussed.  Those who will be holding display boards for judges are as follows:  Oliver – The Causeway; Halstead Public Gardens – Margaret T (Iola and Wendy will be at the special bed celebrating 75years of Halstead Townswomen’s Guild); Christine and Young Bloom team will walk judges from the Public Gardens and show them around the entry at HT School; Adams Court –  Joyce and Pat will be at the Sustainable Front Garden and Vegetable Garden; Mill Chase P.F. – Annie and Mike (a comfort break at Annie and Mike’s House will be offered to Anglia in Bloom judges, and some drinks and biscuits will be available at the Playing Field);  Coggeshall Pieces and Hawthorn Close – Carol will take both boards;  Resource Centre – Jenny and Mary S; Parsonage St. Businesses/Fire Station and River Walk – Fiona and Sheila; Guides’ Allotment – Margaret T and guides/brownies/rainbows.  Debra will take down the display boards at The Bull and deliver them to Bowls Club to set them up for lunch time viewing. (do you need help Debra?).  David, Ian and Alan will be the ‘scouting party’ for both tours.  Margaret E and Joan will accompany Judges. Julia will time-keep.  Mayor and one other Councillor will meet both sets of judges at The Bull to welcome them to Halstead.  All are invited to lunch at Bowls Club.

Some necessary works – mainly weeding! – were identified: Trinity Court (Greenfields assure this is in hand), Courtaulds Close (again, Greenfields have this in hand) , Beridge Road/Colne Valley Close/Butler Road have weeds and Butler Road Car Park is weedy and gutters are blocked. There is a hedge near to Courtaulds Close that needs to be cut back (residential? if so, resident has to be asked if we can cut – Council’s won’t be able to do this work). Some weeding needs to be done at Trinity School.  Sue, Carol and Linda will sort area Bois Hall Gardens to Colne Road.  Margaret T advised that there is damage to the Cemetery Wall in Colne Road (will be reported).  Annie suggested that some working parties be arranged to ‘blitz’ various areas.  Will be taken forward.  Iola and two of Margaret’s Guides will take on watering of the large tubs in Parsonage St. (Annie has some phormiums donated by Jackie and Ted Hawkes that might be suitable for large tubs?  Joan to be asked.)
*Children’s Competition. Margaret T has 10 confirmed entries.  Charles Soule is happy to judge the entries.

WORKING  PARTIESFor all working parties meet at 2pm. on Town Bridge/Halstead Icing car park unless advised otherwiseTuesday 2nd July:  Plant up large tubs in Parsonage St. and in Co-op Car Park.  Weed and tidy around Weavers’ Court.   Wednesday 3rd July: Finish surgery bed! Thursday 4th July – finish planting at The Loom  Tuesday 9th July: Dead Heading.  Thursday 11th – Resource Centre

ANY OTHER BUSINESS:    *Summer Trail. Fiona has 2 shops on board so far and will tour round on 2nd July with Margaret T to find more.  Some posters were available and will be given to schools with entry forms (more to be printed). Fiona has most of the required items.  Trail will be aimed at the summer holiday. *Eileen spoke about the Planning Application for Land East of High Street and said that 21st Century Group had arranged a meeting for Friday 28th June at Baptist Church, Hedingham Road, 7.30pm to advise residents on how to give evidence to the Planning Inspectorate to hopefully get a Public Hearing rather than a written decision about this land.  Eileen urged all to write to the Inspectorate (closing date is 3rd July) to raise objections to the application and to ask for a Public Hearing. *Carol said she had reassurance from Braintree DC that the seat removed from the end of Churchill Avenue will be repaired and replaced.  Carol spoke about the damaged light at Solar Wall, Weavers’ Court.  It will be difficult to repair as new concrete base needs to be made.  *Iola advised that the surround of Colchester Road bed is in poor condition – all the entry beds are in a similar state and decisions will need to be made over the winter period about what to do.  *Annie commented on the bedraggled flag hanging at the High Street end of the entrance to Weavers’ Court.  This is East of England Co-op property – will be reported.  *Joyce noted that weeds had been removed from around the Service Station and furniture shop in Trinity Street.  Joyce also spoke about the seats outside W.H.Smith that are badly in need of painting (it’s not known who has responsibility for these seats).  Joyce also spoke about the waist high weeds at The Centre.  This area is owned by Essex CC so it is assumed therefore that no cutting back will be done. *Margaret T spoke about a possible red paint spillage on pavement at Butler Road.  Margaret also noted some traffic road signs that have not been removed although work is complete:- near to Service Station, Trinity Street, Butler Road and Trinity Road.  Will be reported.  Margaret said that the stile had been removed on path to Box Mill but path is now open for motor bikes that could be a danger to pedestrians.  Margaret noted that a large white van is parked on verge at Parsonage Street that must be a hazard for vehicles exiting from St. Andrew’s Road.  *Linda spoke about new troughs at Oswick and she has given employees there another watering can and asked that they put one can of water on each tub on a regular basis!
*Margaret E noted that one seat at Former Post Office Forecourt is broken – has been reported.  *Ian asked if HiB will contribute to refreshment for judges – this has been offered. *Annie noted that The Bull has offered HiB team some free cold drinks at working parties.  Much appreciated!

.**********

There being no other business the meeting closed at  9.02  p.m.

Next team meeting on   Thursday 18th July 2019     7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing.     All welcome

Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443

Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com
Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk        Facebook: halsteadinbloom.    giveasyoulive.com/join/halstead-in-bloom
join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity to donate via Co-op purchases.

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 27th June 2019  7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing

 

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.
Chairman welcomed Pat who had been attending working parties for a couple of months, but this was her first team meeting and also Eileen Penn, Rivercare Group and 21st Century Group.

 

MINUTES of  30th May had been circulated and were adopted
NEWS:   *Flower Festival It was believed that there was good attendance at the Festival and that in general it was better than last year with some colourful displays.  It is hoped that it was financially successful and that there will be another event in 2020.  Halstead in Bloom was proud to be associated with this event. *River Colne Update – John Smith called another meeting for 26th June, and a representative of Environment Agency was present.  Meeting was very positive with a willingness by EA to look at taking some ‘refurbishment’ further.  The officer present will speak with some colleagues who have experience of this type of work and it is hoped that some co-operation with EECOS (affiliated to Essex Wildlife Trust) will be possible.  EECOS will hopefully be able to draw up a plan and costings for work to improve the ecology and appearance of the river and EA will have some funding for works.  Volunteer work could begin to clear some of the vegetation but approval will need to be given by EA and some plans for taking away debris will need to be in place.  It was said that EA will not give any funding to ‘a group of residents’ and discussion took place with the team regarding the possibility of HiB being a formal body to manage finances, etc.  Trustees were in agreement and a vote was taken with all members present voting in agreement.  A further meeting of the small River committee will take place towards end of July and progress will be reported.  *Richard de Clare 150yr celebrations were attended for HiB by Wendy and Iola also attended (both are former teachers at the School.)  They reported a lovely day with each class celebrating something in the 150 year history of the school.  There were some musical items and a tour around the school.  Day ended with a pic-nic in the playground.  Well done Richard de Clare School!  *Halstead Road Runners and the London Marathon. HRR asked if HiB would consider putting in an application for next year which we did and HiB has been awarded a charity place.  One of the Road Runners will run for HiB and a Virgin Money Fund raising page is being set up to receive donations.  Sue suggested that perhaps one of the individuals who have been given a place might consider running for HiB.  This will be explored when all is up and running.  *Facebook comments. Oliver has spoken to the complainant and all is now sorted.  Thank you Oliver, we don’t like to cause any difficulties.
EVENTS:  **Rivercare.  Next event is Sunday 7th July..  Meet 10am at Sainsbury’s Car Park. *Next Community Litter Pick. Sunday 30th June, then 18th July ALL WELCOME.  Meet 10.30am at Sainsbury’s Car Park.  *HiB Quiz for 2019.  Friday 18th October.  *Mayor’s Fair that will take place in aid of Mayor’s Charity 2019 (Halstead Day Centre) is on 3rd August but HiB won’t be able to take part in this event.
LOCAL  GARDEN  COMPETITON.  17  entries have been received so far – could do with more!  All past judges have agreed to take part this year, for which we are grateful.  Some posters/entry forms are available, contact me if required.  Judging Assistants volunteers are as follows:  Margaret E with Wendy Schmitt (if Sunday judging is OK with Wendy); Margaret T with Charles Soule for Allotment judging on Saturday; John and Alison Brett will be accompanied by David T on Saturday; Sue Wilson will be with Annie on Saturday; Ian will accompany Steve Kirby on Sunday; Thelma and Joyce will accompany Lady Fiona Wilson on Sunday and Margaret E will accompany Chairman of BDC Angela Kilmartin on Saturday.  We didn’t assign anyone with Lyn Walters on Saturday 20th – volunteers please!  We may not need all judges if we have no more entries – but entry doesn’t close until 12th July. Thank you to all volunteers – I will give judges your contact details and the list of entries to be judged will be available from Tuesday 16th July.  Christine asked if entrants could be requested to submit photos of their gardens to be put on a scrolling screen presentation on Awards Day.  Note will be added to notification of judging letters.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM’19.         DATE FOR ANGLIA IN BLOOM – 24th July (10am to 4.30pm)
RHS BRITAIN  IN  BLOOM ’19  . DATE FOR BRITAIN IN BLOOM – 1st August (9am to 12noon)
Routes for both tours were available and timings were discussed.  Those who will be holding display boards for judges are as follows:  Oliver – The Causeway; Halstead Public Gardens – Margaret T (Iola and Wendy will be at the special bed celebrating 75years of Halstead Townswomen’s Guild); Christine and Young Bloom team will walk judges from the Public Gardens and show them around the entry at HT School; Adams Court –  Joyce and Pat will be at the Sustainable Front Garden and Vegetable Garden; Mill Chase P.F. – Annie and Mike (a comfort break at Annie and Mike’s House will be offered to Anglia in Bloom judges, and some drinks and biscuits will be available at the Playing Field);  Coggeshall Pieces and Hawthorn Close – Carol will take both boards;  Resource Centre – Jenny and Mary S; Parsonage St. Businesses/Fire Station and River Walk – Fiona and Sheila; Guides’ Allotment – Margaret T and guides/brownies/rainbows.  Debra will take down the display boards at The Bull and deliver them to Bowls Club to set them up for lunch time viewing. (do you need help Debra?).  David, Ian and Alan will be the ‘scouting party’ for both tours.  Margaret E and Joan will accompany Judges. Julia will time-keep.  Mayor and one other Councillor will meet both sets of judges at The Bull to welcome them to Halstead.  All are invited to lunch at Bowls Club.

Some necessary works – mainly weeding! – were identified: Trinity Court (Greenfields assure this is in hand), Courtaulds Close (again, Greenfields have this in hand) , Beridge Road/Colne Valley Close/Butler Road have weeds and Butler Road Car Park is weedy and gutters are blocked. There is a hedge near to Courtaulds Close that needs to be cut back (residential? if so, resident has to be asked if we can cut – Council’s won’t be able to do this work). Some weeding needs to be done at Trinity School.  Sue, Carol and Linda will sort area Bois Hall Gardens to Colne Road.  Margaret T advised that there is damage to the Cemetery Wall in Colne Road (will be reported).  Annie suggested that some working parties be arranged to ‘blitz’ various areas.  Will be taken forward.  Iola and two of Margaret’s Guides will take on watering of the large tubs in Parsonage St. (Annie has some phormiums donated by Jackie and Ted Hawkes that might be suitable for large tubs?  Joan to be asked.)
*Children’s Competition. Margaret T has 10 confirmed entries.  Charles Soule is happy to judge the entries.

WORKING  PARTIESFor all working parties meet at 2pm. on Town Bridge/Halstead Icing car park unless advised otherwiseTuesday 2nd July:  Plant up large tubs in Parsonage St. and in Co-op Car Park.  Weed and tidy around Weavers’ Court.   Wednesday 3rd July: Finish surgery bed! Thursday 4th July – finish planting at The Loom  Tuesday 9th July: Dead Heading.  Thursday 11th – Resource Centre

ANY OTHER BUSINESS:    *Summer Trail. Fiona has 2 shops on board so far and will tour round on 2nd July with Margaret T to find more.  Some posters were available and will be given to schools with entry forms (more to be printed). Fiona has most of the required items.  Trail will be aimed at the summer holiday. *Eileen spoke about the Planning Application for Land East of High Street and said that 21st Century Group had arranged a meeting for Friday 28th June at Baptist Church, Hedingham Road, 7.30pm to advise residents on how to give evidence to the Planning Inspectorate to hopefully get a Public Hearing rather than a written decision about this land.  Eileen urged all to write to the Inspectorate (closing date is 3rd July) to raise objections to the application and to ask for a Public Hearing. *Carol said she had reassurance from Braintree DC that the seat removed from the end of Churchill Avenue will be repaired and replaced.  Carol spoke about the damaged light at Solar Wall, Weavers’ Court.  It will be difficult to repair as new concrete base needs to be made.  *Iola advised that the surround of Colchester Road bed is in poor condition – all the entry beds are in a similar state and decisions will need to be made over the winter period about what to do.  *Annie commented on the bedraggled flag hanging at the High Street end of the entrance to Weavers’ Court.  This is East of England Co-op property – will be reported.  *Joyce noted that weeds had been removed from around the Service Station and furniture shop in Trinity Street.  Joyce also spoke about the seats outside W.H.Smith that are badly in need of painting (it’s not known who has responsibility for these seats).  Joyce also spoke about the waist high weeds at The Centre.  This area is owned by Essex CC so it is assumed therefore that no cutting back will be done. *Margaret T spoke about a possible red paint spillage on pavement at Butler Road.  Margaret also noted some traffic road signs that have not been removed although work is complete:- near to Service Station, Trinity Street, Butler Road and Trinity Road.  Will be reported.  Margaret said that the stile had been removed on path to Box Mill but path is now open for motor bikes that could be a danger to pedestrians.  Margaret noted that a large white van is parked on verge at Parsonage Street that must be a hazard for vehicles exiting from St. Andrew’s Road.  *Linda spoke about new troughs at Oswick and she has given employees there another watering can and asked that they put one can of water on each tub on a regular basis!
*Margaret E noted that one seat at Former Post Office Forecourt is broken – has been reported.  *Ian asked if HiB will contribute to refreshment for judges – this has been offered. *Annie noted that The Bull has offered HiB team some free cold drinks at working parties.  Much appreciated!

.**********

There being no other business the meeting closed at  9.02  p.m.

Next team meeting on   Thursday 18th July 2019     7.30p.m. at Halstead Icing.     All welcome

Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443

Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com
Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk        Facebook: halsteadinbloom.    giveasyoulive.com/join/halstead-in-bloom
join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity to donate via Co-op purchases.