Minutes 30th June 2022

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 30th June 2022 at  6.00 p.m. at Royal British Legion Club

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.
Chairman updated all on the progress of Ian who is now home and has been given thumbs up from the Consultant and next appointment is at end of July.  Well done Ian!

Minutes of meeting of 26th June 2022 had been circulated and were adopted.

UPDATES.  *A donation of £200 was received from Hedingham Singers following the recent, successful, Jubilation event.  Donation was totally unexpected and gratefully received.  *Troughs have been removed from outside premises in Bridge Street.  One may be required at the United Reformed Church, Margie C to organise.  *Jubilee Fayre – a total of £130.10 was raised with £15.24 given in donations.   *British Legion Armed Forces Day Fair – a total of £55.30 was taken with £8.09 in donations.  £15 will be donated to the RBL as  thanks for organising this event.   *Eastlight Homes event at Queen’s Hall was attended.  The Eastlight team are planning to ‘bring the community together’ and further events with a wider attendance are planned for the autumn.   *Partnership going forward – a meeting was held very recently with senior officials from ECC, BDC and HTC plus HiB Secretary.  Ideas on how to manage In Bloom going into the future were discussed and a stronger, more formal Partnership Agreement was drafted.  A paper will be put to HTC meeting on 18th July . BDC have purchased a weed clearing machine and will bring to Halstead so that HiB team can view it.  Suggested that Factory Lane East would be a good place to demonstrate its capabilities!
LOCAL  GARDEN  COMPETITION.   Helen reported 13 entries for the Young People’s Competition with good input from Guides, Brownies and Rainbows.  Prices were awarded.  The ‘gardens’ were lovely and made a beautiful display in Holy Trinity Church over the Jubilee weekend.  It is hoped that next year the competition will be better supported.
The Local Garden Competition launched on 6th June and so far there have been 4 entries – two of them posted online.  Posters and entry forms are in supermarkets and at Halstead Town Council office and at Halstead Icing.  Karyn had some ‘thank you’ certificates of appreciation that can be put through doors, together with entry forms and team  took some to distribute. 
Some pre-judging, learning events have taken place.  Judging will be over 23/24th July.
Thanks was expressed to the team managing this prestigious event.

SPONSORSHIP There has been a great response to requests for sponsorship.  So far a total of £3025  has been received including a donation from Dr. Hessayon.  There is a further £225 (including £150 from East of England Co-op) in the pipeline and Annie reported that she is still exploring other possibilities for sponsorship.  Aluminac (formerly Wade) has not responded so their signs at entry beds will be removed.   Well done Annie for your efforts.

HALSTEAD  FLOWER  FESTIVAL  HiB will make a display, the theme for this year is Hymns of Praise and HiB will illustrate Blessed Assurance with the refrain being ‘this is my story, this is my song’.  Joan will arrange flower displays.  Set up is Thursday 7th July and the event at St. Andrew’s Church will be from 10-5 Friday 8th; 10-5 Saturday 9th and 12-5 Sunday 10th. July.  Refreshments will be available.  Some of the HiB team will act as guides and assist with refreshments.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM Campaign 2022.  Wording for the Halstead entries was read out – 80 words have been supplied for Public Gardens, River Walk, Mill Chase and Halstead Cemetery by BDC.  Wording for St. Andrew’s Churchyard was also read out and approved.  Photos will be taken by BDC and by Alan and David T.  All entries must be sent to Anglia in Bloom by 25th July.

CALENDAR 2023  Discussions took place about whether we should produce a calendar for next year and a vote was taken.  Majority decision was that HiB should produce a 2023 calendar.  Discussions then took place about quantity to order:  Quote has been received from Paul Clark Print – 500 copies at £1375.  600 copies at £1500 this means cost would be £2.75 per copy. (run-on price would be held at this figure if we wanted to order further quantities).  Discussion took place on how much we should charge with the current price being £4 there was a suggestion that this should be raised to £4.50 or even higher.  On a vote it was decided that in the current financial climate we should hold the price at £4 as postage costs will be even higher this year.  Mike suggested that we should invest in a card reading machine.  Sec to explore costs (see note at foot of minutes).

EVENTS.  *Next Community Litter Pick – Sunday 31st July. Meet 10.30 at Sainsbury’s Car Park..   *Halstead T.C. is planning a Summer Fete on 6th August.  Further details at next meeting.  *Halstead Fire Station is having an event on 3rd September.  We won’t have anything to sell, but hopefully we can have some sort of game for children?  Margie C suggested a ‘carpet bowls’ type event.  Further discussions to take place.   HiB agreed to speak to Great Notley Flower Club on 12th October, 13.00hrs.  HiB has also agreed to speak to Halstead W.I. on 17th April 2023, 7.30pm at the Con Club.

WORKING  PARTIES  Joan said that on Tuesday 5th Annie would like help at the Hospital with weeding or there is deadheading, etc. to do around the town.  There will be work needed at the Road Runners bed later in the month.  All of the perennials that are at present behind gates as Weavers Court will be going to Peter’s to be sorted.  Carol asked if a new volunteer had turned up on Tuesday but this didn’t happen. 

ANY  OTHER  BUSINESS *Julia showed a poster from 21st Century group about a fund-raising Jubilee Jaunt asking for pledges for miles walked during July.  This was noted.   Julia also noted that HTC had suggested that assistance from HiB to clean moss from the WWI memorial in St. Andrew’s Churchyard would be useful.  Members felt that for Health and Safety reasons and for concerns about damage this wouldn’t be something we could take on.  *Carol spoke about the waste bin in Colne Road that has been damaged – will be reported.  Carol also spoke about bins at Willow Park that are not emptied and there are no dog bins so dog waste and other waste is littering the area.  This is a Developer problem at the moment and a letter will be written.  Carol mentioned the surrounds to beds at Tylney Court that are wooden and rotting.  She asked if Graham could view and see if remedial work can be effected.  *Alan noted that the ‘raised bed’ at Blamster’s Crescent is still in a terrible condition.  Will be reported again to Eastlight Homes.  *Karyn asked if there is any watering that she and Billy can do and Joan asked if they could maintain the trough at Ronald Road and the one at White Horse Avenue.  This was agreed.  *Joyce noted the pot holes in Trinity Road – these are being attended to.  Joyce also said that Mount Hill banks are again causing problems and she will report (have also been reported to BDC). *Colin offered help with judging the Local Garden Competition and said that he and his partner will be pleased to assist.  Offer gratefully taken up!  Colin also agreed to enter Adams Court into the It’s Your Neighbourhood competition run by Anglia in Bloom/RHS.  *Jean asked about watering areas in Colchester Road.  Sec. hopefully will set up a meeting with HTC to discuss.  *Fiona noted that trees are hanging over the footpath at Mill Bridge making egress difficult.  Will be reported.  Fiona also noted that Jane Giffould is raising money for the Mobile Cancer Treatment Bus that is run by a charity.  She had a Just Giving Page to receive donations.  *Annie asked who will water the 3 large HTC tubs outside Ukraine House (formerly the Premaberg Building).  Will be discussed with HTC.  Annie also noted the large amount of weeds in Council car parks at Rosemary Lane, Hedingham Road and Chapel Street.   Annie asked about the sign on corner of Butler Road advertising Car Wash and wondered if permission had been given for this sign.  Will be queried.  *Joan noted that the dog bin and the litter bin on River Walk at Parsonage St. were in poor condition.  She did note, however, that the overhanging rose bushes that were previously reported have been trimmed by BDC.  Joan spoke about the hanging baskets at Michael’s Estate Agents. Owners are finding it difficult to water them.  Julia now taking these on.  *Margaret E reported that the road drain at disabled bay outside Sainsburys is blocked.  Margaret also noted that the Centre is very overgrown and has lots of weeds.
JOAN said that there are about 100 begonias (bedding and trailing) at Peter’s that have been attacked by muntjac but are now starting to grow again.  If anyone can make use of them please let Joan know.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 7.12 p.m.

Next team meeting on Thursday 28th July 2022. 6.00p.m. at British Legion Club, The Causeway.  


 Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants/working parties. 01787 473070www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk       Faceb

Minutes 26th May 2020

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 26th May 2022  6.00 p.m. at Royal British Legion Club

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.
Chairman updated all on the progress of Ian who has been moved from Colchester Hospital to Basildon Hospital for specialist treatment.  All said ‘get well soon Ian’  

Minutes of meeting of 28th April 2022 had been circulated and were adopted.

UPDATES.  *Partnership Review.  Further meetings have taken place.  It was felt that it would be helpful if we have a ‘mock judge’s tour’ and that our usual surveys of the route are prepared and presented at a future meeting.  Details were itemised and groups of 2 volunteered to survey parts of the route.  *Co-op Community Fund – application has been made for a further year’s support.  *Land 122 King’s Road to land rear of Dr.’s Surgery.  It has been ascertained that this is, indeed, private land.  *Parking on verge in Parsonage St.  Details of one parked vehicle was passed to Enforcement at BDC and a letter was written.  There is no means by which enforcement can be enacted.  *Grass at Hospital.  Dr. Symington, Chair of the Friends of Halstead Hospital was contacted and said that the grass will be cut at some future point.  *Spraying round street furniture, etc.  Point was raised with BDC and we have been told that this is the most efficient weed control method.  *Town Centre Regeneration.  This work was supposed to have taken place last year but Officer leading the work has not had time to progress it.  Work has been put out to tender, but then there will be public consultations, etc.  It seems unlikely that work will be done this year so probably no entry into Anglia in Bloom 2023 will be possible.  *Holy Trinity School Gardening Club.  A lovely letter from the Club thanking HiB for funding for the polytunnel has been received and was read out and circulated.  We were told that tomatoes, cucumber, beans, courgettes, cosmos, peppers and aubergines are being grown and are doing really well.  Great to see that things are going well with the Club.
LOCAL  GARDEN  COMPETITION.   Helen reported that the Jubilee Portable Garden Competition for Under 16’s is open.  Exhibits to be brought to Holy Trinity Church by 1st June and judging will take place by Officers from Halstead Town council between 11am-12noon.  Prizes will be presented by the Mayor, Cllr Mrs Jackie Pell, on 2nd June at 11am. Karyn and Billy have donated prizes. Exhibits will remain at the Church for viewing until Sunday 5th June when exhibitors are asked to remove them.  Entries have so far been received from Playgroups, St. Andrew’s School, Rainbows, Brownies and Guides but it is hoped that more will be presented. 
The main Local Garden Competition will be launched on 6th June with posters and on social media.  Entry forms have been updated and entries can now be made digitally.  Postal entries can be received or forms can be lodged at Halstead Town Council.  Prizes will be local garden centre vouchers to the value of £25 – which HiB will fund.  Well done the Local Garden Team.

SPONSORSHIP There has been a great response to requests for sponsorship.  So far a total of £1551.00 has been received.  So far there has been no response from East of England Co-op nor from Aluminac (formerly Wade) but it is thought that if these requests are not taken up other companies will be pleased to sponsor the identified areas.  Well done Annie for your efforts.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM Campaign 2022.  Meetings with BDC have taken place about entries for Halstead Public Gardens, Halstead Cemetery, Halstead River Walk and Mill Green.  Criteria have been studied and photos need identified.  Wording also roughed out.  Halstead’s other entry will be St. Andrew’s Churchyard and it was thought that perhaps the date of oldest tomb and most recent tomb plus any other historical facts might be helpful in supporting photos.  The refurbished bench supplied by HiB is now installed, so another photo/wording opportunity.  David offered to research some of the history that could be included.

EVENTS.  *Next Community Litter Pick – Sunday 29th May. Meet 10.30 at Sainsbury’s Car Park. Halstead Rotary has indicated that they would like to join in with litter pick events.  * Plant collecting/sorting on 28th May.  Please be at area rear of Halstead Auto Electrical by about 10am on Saturday.  Planting will begin on 29th May.  Those helping to set out please be on Town Bridge at 9am and those planting please bring trowels, etc. (plus steps for planting The Bridge) at 10.15am.  Areas to be planted on Sunday will be Bridge, The Causeway, Solar Wall and if there is time The Crossing.  Assistance with carting plants to other areas will be sought, Joan to advise on day to day basis    *There will be a Jubilee Fayre on Saturday 4th June.  So far volunteers are:  9-10 Joan and Joyce.  10-11 Billy and Karyn;  11-12  Nicky and Chris.  12-1  Alan and Margie C.  If you can help from 1-2 and 2-3 please let me know as soon as possible..  Our stall will be positioned opposite Costa Coffee.  We will be selling some plants, plant pots, some hand made goods, etc.  *There will be a Fete in Halstead Public Gardens on 25th June to celebrate the Royal British Legion, we will probably have some plants left to sell plus any other bits and pieces that we can get together. Possibly we could have a display of some archive material.   *Halstead T.C. is planning a Summer Fete on 6th August. It was decided that we want to take part and perhaps we could have more Archive material?   I will probably need some help curating our display  *Halstead Flower Festival is going ahead on 8th/9th/10th July.  Theme will be ‘Songs of Praise’.  We don’t know location of our display, Joan to find out.  It was decided that HiB would like to have a full A5 page advert in the programme at a cost of £30, Cheque to be sent.  Set up for the display will be 5th/6th/7th July.  Joan to advise at next meeting.*alsteadalsHal alstea
WORKING  PARTIES  Plant sorting on Saturday 28th and Planting on Sunday 29th.

All subsequent working parties on Tuesdays and Thursdays will be planting until all plants (and volunteers!!) are exhausted.

ANY  OTHER  BUSINESS.    *Chairman noted that the plant sale raised £376.41 with a further £11 in donations.  Margaret thanked all who had helped and those who donated plants.  She asked that for any further sales of plants labels be attached.  It was noted that a Plant Finder App can be installed on phones for 7days free and it was thought that perhaps this might be useful for subsequent sales.
*Joyce noted that the left hand side of Mount Hill, going towards Braintree, is very overgrown now and needs to be cut back.  BDC/ECC rangers to be advised.  *Joan noted that the wooden edging around bed in St. Andrew’s Churchyard is rotting and could be a trip hazard.  HTC will be advised and asked to remove it.  If new edging is required it was decided that HiB could fund.  *Fiona remarked on how much she and Dave enjoyed marshalling for the Halstead Marathon and said how lovely it was that runners, however exhausted, thanked Marshalls as they passed.  It was noted that on the Halstead Road Runners Facebook page there was feedback thanking all marshalls and saying that they were the best encountered!!  *Julia noted a request from Mr Bonnett a resident of the Old Police Station houses asking if HiB could supply containers and plants outside his property that he would sponsor/pay for.  It was suggested that he be advised of the cost/size of the containers and asked if he was prepared to purchase them.  It was thought that HiB could supply compost/plants if residents are prepared to maintain displays.  *Sue asked if the proposed displays at ESO and Nail Bar at top of town are in place.  They are, and Sue has subsequently visited and ascertained that businesses will water displays.  *Margie noted that the Wool Shop in Bridge Street has now closed but the troughs (that were donated by HiB) are still in place.  Margie will ascertain if they are still required and if not will ask at the Church if they could be placed outside the Church.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 6.50 p.m.

Next team meeting on Thursday 30th June 2022. 6.00p.m. at British Legion Club, The Causeway.  


 Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants/working parties. 01787 473070www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk 

Minutes 28th April 2022

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 28th April 2022  6.00 p.m. at Royal British Legion Club

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.   

Minutes of meeting of 31st March 2022 had been circulated and were adopted.

UPDATES.  *Partnership Review.  There will be another meeting of the review group on 4th May.  Hopefully we will be able to make some progress on moving the matter forward.  *Ray Sharman of Halstead Road Runners who will be running for Halstead in Bloom and has pledged to raise £500 for us does have a Facebook page but not, at the moment a Just Giving page.  We may be able to make some enquiries on Marathon Day as to how we can support him.

LOCAL  GARDEN  COMPETITION.  Report was given by Helen and Karyn that posters advertising the Children’s Competition for a ‘portable’ garden on the theme of the Queen’s Crown or a Garden Fit For A Queen have been placed in schools, in retail outlets in the town and on the Community Facebook Page and there has been a good response so far.  Entry forms have been made.  Judging will be done by Halstead Town Councillors and prizes, that have been donated by Karyn, will be given at an event on 2nd June at Holy Trinity Church.  All entries will be on display in Holy Trinity Church for the week following the prize giving.
It was said that there will be further meeting of the Local Garden Competition Team to discuss the main Competition in the near future.  Team were thanked for their efforts and we look forward to two good competitions this year.

SPONSORSHIP Annie gave a report  that all letters/emails to existing sponsors have been sent and there has been a good response so far with £1275 being paid or pledged.  There is a potential further £1150 to come in.  Annie reported two new sponsors this year, both of whom have contacted us rather than us going out to recruit.  These are Halstead Rugby Club who will sponsor two sites – muck spreader and the new container at Butler Road – and Crownlea who will sponsor the display outside The Bank and also the three large tubs outside what is now Ukraine House.  Meeting was told that these three large tubs will need to be moved so that scaffolding can be erected but Halstead TC has made it clear that they must remain outside this building even if they are spaced out differently.  Don suggested that HiB contacts Halstead Cricket Club for sponsorship, but Annie said that with the past difficult two years it was felt that new sponsorship won’t be sought for this year but for 2023 the Cricket club and also local Estate Agents will be contacted.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM Campaign 2022.  I have a meeting with Officer from BDC and Peter Nice on 6th May to discuss photos submitted so far (thank you Alan!) and what will be needed.  The areas entered are: Halstead Public Gardens, Halstead Cemetery, Halstead River Walk and Mill Green.  Also HTC/HiB will be entering St. Andrew’s Churchyard.

EVENTS.  *Next Community Litter Pick – Sunday 29th May. Meet 10.30 at Sainsbury’s Car Park.  *Halstead Marathon is on 8th May.  Places have been allocated for HiB team as follows:  Bottom of Field – Colin Bailey and David Tarbun.  Entry to hedge path and new estate – Karyn and Billy Ballard. Field Exit path – Fiona and Dave Bazley.  Churchill Avenue – Julia and Graham Smith.  Portway Court – Annie Rees and Joan Gibson.  Colne Road – Ian Jarvis and Margaret Eskins.  Bois Hall Gardens – Helen Rose and Margaret Tyler;  1st Leisure Centre Gate – Eileen Penn and Joyce Saville.  2nd Leisure Centre Gate – Meg Hollinshead, Thelma Salmon and George Lipyeat.  HiB Marshalls to sign in at race HQ (rear of Leisure Centre) at 11.10am and will need to be in position by 12.10.    I will send ‘What 3 Word’ location identifiers to marshalls individually.  Any changes will be reported directly.  *Plant Stall on 21st May.  Stall will be set up from about 8.30am.  Stall manning as follows:  9-10  Joan, Joyce and Margaret E. 10-11 Derek Holmes  and someone from Daniel Robinson & Sons. 11-12 Don and Helen.  12-1 David T and Ian.  1-2 Alan and Chris.  It may be that we will be overwhelmed with customers so if anyone else can help at any time please do join in.   *Plant collecting/sorting will be on Saturday 28th May (see Working Parties) and planting will begin on 29th May.   *There will be a Jubilee Fayre on Saturday 4th June.  So far volunteers are:  9-10 Joan and Joyce.  10-11 Billy and Karyn;  11-12  Nicky and Chris.  12-1  Alan.  There are still some selling slots to fill – we are supposed to be at the Fayre until 4pm and will be positioned opposite Costa Coffee.   *There will be a Fete in Halstead Public Gardens on 25th June to celebrate the Royal British Legion, we will probably have some plants left to sell plus any other bits and pieces that we can get together, no further info at the moment but will make arrangements at next team meeting.  *Halstead T.C. is planning a Summer Fete on 6th August.(sorry, wrong date given at meeting) It was decided that we want to take part and perhaps we could have an Archive Day? If so, I will probably need some help curating our display from the 22years worth of archive!  *Halstead Flower Festival is going ahead on 8th/9th/10th July.*alsteadalsHal alstea

WORKING  PARTIES
 Joan was not at the meeting due to prior engagement but had sent a list!!
Tuesday 3rd May – Deadheading and weeding;      Thursday 5th May – Flower Arrangements **; Tuesday 10th May – Deadheading and weeding;     Thursday 12th May – Flower Arrangements**;  Tuesday 17th May – start to remove winter bedding;  Thursday 19th May – Remove winter bedding;   Tuesday 24th May – Remove winter bedding;  Thursday 26th May – remove winter bedding (if necessary).  Saturday 28th May – Plant sorting from 10.30am.  Sunday 29th May – Setting out from 9am. Planting from 10.30am.
**Materials will be required – trays/dishes and also artificial flowers (can be bought at charity shops, etc.).  Joan will advise where these working parties will take place – please let Joan know as soon as possible if you are interested in taking part.  Times of flower arranging meetings to be arranged.

ANY  OTHER  BUSINESS.    
*Julia queried whether vehicles are still parking on the verge at Parsonage St.  It was said that there was one parked there at present – details have been passed to Essex Parking Partnership.  *Derek Holmes said that Daniel Robinson are keen to assist Halstead in Bloom and have volunteered for the plant stall.  If there is any other help needed we can contact Derek or Terry at High St. premises.  *Annie noted that the grass at Halstead Hospital is very much in need of some attention.  It was suggested that the Friends group may be able to get something done – Annie to contact Dr. Symington.  *Fiona noted that ground around bins/signs and trees has been sprayed and that this is an eyesore.  She asked if these areas could be strimmed rather than killed.  A definitive answer will be sought.  *Ian asked if the Town Centre Regeneration is anywhere near to commencement as HiB will need to consider if next year’s Anglia in Bloom entry will be feasible and not hampered by town centre road works.  Cllr Gronland who attended the meeting said that matters are moving forward slowly and that signage and street furniture will need to be considered as well as road and pathway works.  The area outside W H Smith will be upgraded and that means that the tree will probably have to be sacrificed as it is causing damage to the surrounding area.  *Joyce asked for donations of knitting wool as she wants to commence making hats/coats/mittens for sale later in the year.  *Alan asked if there is anything that can be done about the eyesore around Halstead Mill.  He was told that this is all private land and although the Mill buildings are Grade II listed Councils cannot enforce action.  *Debra noted that the former Blacksmiths’ Tea Room is to be opened as an Indian Restaurant next Tuesday (3rd May) and that the owner of the restaurant will buy a lawn mower and cut the grass each fortnight!  *Chris noted that the polytunnel purchased for Holy Trinity School Gardening Club is erected and looking good;  The Gardening Club is up and running and hopefully will be potting up some seeds and growing on plants soon.
Posters for the forthcoming Plant Sale were distributed – HTC will be asked to display some on Town Notice boards after the May Bank Holiday.
Some leaflets about Sudbury’s Jubilee Celebrations were available.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 6.40 p.m.

Next team meeting on Thursday 26th May 2022. 6.00p.m. at British Legion Club, The Causeway.  


 Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants/working parties. 01787 473070www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk       Facebook: halsteadinbloom.Instagram @halsteadinbloom
Join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity
 to do

Minutes of Meeting 23rd February 2022

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 23rd February 2022  7.30p.m. at Royal British Legion Club

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.   Meeting followed AGM 2021.

Minutes of meeting of 23rd January 2022 had been circulated and were adopted.

UPDATES.  *David has booked the Con Club for Friday 14th October as agreed.  Annie and Mike will assist with entrance and raffle.  *Van has been booked at just insurance and diesel costs from EA Van Hire, Weavers’ Court.  *Footpath from Kings Road to Doctors’ Surgery – this footpath was put in by developer who has now no interest.  BDC say that they can’t manage it; HTC is exploring possibilities but no agreement so far. Post meeting note:  Billy offered to cut back the brambles to make the footpath safe.  Work to be done on Sunday 27/2.  *Holy Trinity School Gardening Club- Chris says that this will be up and running very shortly and has asked if HiB could purchase a polytunnel for their use.  Officers have agreed to this spend and all agreed that this would be good use of funds. *Total for calendar sales 2022 now stands at £453.00 profit – not sure if there is any more to come in from Phil the Egg Man and there will be further cash from Thelma.

NEWS:  *We are due to receive the first part of the Community Grant from Colchester Road Co-op in April having been accepted for funding from 2022.  A team member has donated £270 to HiB as she is in awe of the work done by volunteers.  * We were asked to support the Halstead Horticultural Society by sponsoring their schedules again this year, this has been agreed.  *We have booked in for a free event to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee on Saturday 4th June.  This will be similar to the Christmas Fayre and we will be selling plants as well as some hand-made items. It was suggested that we might sell some table decorations made under Joan’s guidance.  Possibility to be explored.  We will be based opposite Costa as usual.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM Campaign 2022. 4 places have been booked and paid for to attend the Spring Launch of Anglia in Bloom on 24th March at Hyde Hall.  Jenny Brimley has asked for one place, and Annie has said she would like to attend.  Margaret E and Margaret T also asked for places.  At present there are just 4 places available – team will be told if more places can be booked. * BDC has asked if we will enter the Public Gardens, the Cemetery, Mill Chase and possibly the River Walk.  HTC will be asked if they would like the St. Andrew’s churchyard to be entered. (These ‘additional categories’ will all be judged virtually we understand and there will be a cost of £20 per entry).

EVENTS.  *Community Litter Pick – Sunday 27th February. Meet 10.30 at Sainsbury’s Car Park.  *Jubilee Events:  As well as the Fayre on Saturday there may be other events taking place.  To be advised.

*Keep Britain Tidy’s Great British Spring Clean Event will take place this year from 25th March to 10th April.  There will be our usual Community Litter Pick on 27th March and the working party on 5th April will also be a litter pick event.  Chris is to send note to local paper and post on Facebook.  *We have agreed to take part in the Flower Festival to be held at St. Andrew’s Church on 8th/9th/10th July.  The theme is ‘Songs of Praise’ so I’m sure that Joan has thinking cap on!  She will appreciate ideas on this theme. *Margaret T has been told that there will be a Fete in Halstead Public Gardens on 25th June to celebrate the Royal British Legion. 
WORKING  PARTIES Joan  gave a resume of the planting for summer 2022 with some themed areas for the Jubilee celebrations namely the ‘badge bed’ in Halstead Public Gardens and the Loom garden.  Joan asked team to collect small white bottle tops and milk bottle tops for the Badge Bed.  The colours in Town Centre and other areas will be red/gold/cream – regal colours.  Working Parties for the next month will be: 1st March (St. David’s Day and Pancake Tuesday!) Halstead Public Gardens and Bluebridge.  Tuesday 8th March Public Gardens and Bluebridge.  15th March Deadheading.  22nd March Clearing the River Bank near to Peter Robertson’s  29th March River Bank again 5th April Litter Picking for the Great British Spring Clean.  Margaret E also noted that some work will be required in car park near to Thelma as a tree has come down. 

HIB GOING FORWARD  Joan and Julia attended the Town Council meeting on 14th February where a report was before Council to give HiB money to purchase in sub-contractors for necessary work.  Julia spoke during Public Question Time and said that money was not what was required from Council but support will be necessary if Halstead in Bloom is to continue with entry to prestigious In Bloom campaigns.  There was a proposal to re-write the Partnership Agreements and a meeting has been called for further discussion on this matter on 3rd March.

ANY  OTHER  BUSINESS.    Colin said that he has been told informally that the Local Garden Competition 2022 will not be judged by independent judges as has been the case in previous years.  Margaret, Helen, Billy and Karyn explained that they had one meeting so far and thought it would be better – as there were only 6 entries in 2021 – to try and have a more relaxed and information competition with less rigid criteria.  This would be tried for one year and if the idea didn’t work then something else would be tried for the future.  Karyn said the team were trying to encourage everyone of all ages to take part and brighten the environment.  Colin was assured that the competition would be judged fairly but Colin was not happy that it would not be independently judged.  The Local Garden Competition team will meet again before next HiB meeting and the L.G.C. team will give further information then.  Annie noted that the area in front of the former Premaberg building has been cleaned and tidied with paving slabs put back in better positions.  Fiona noted that most of the litter bins that are hung on lampposts do not have lids so that in windy conditions the contents tend to blow away and cause litter.  Fiona asked if this could be addressed clarification will be sought.  Fiona also noted that many street signs are in a dirty and unkempt state.  (This is ECC Highways responsibility).Linda asked where matters of Highway/Pavement defects can be reported and was told that there are reporting facilities on the Essex County Council web site, or ring Halstead Town Council and they will report.  Linda also spoke about the seats that HiB installed at the rear of the Hospital and said they were well used and still looked clean and tidy.  Cigarette bins are being fully used.   Jean asked if the Local Garden Competition this year will include allotments and was told that it will. Margaret T noted that there is part of an inspection box from the electricity sub-station near to the Town Bridge lying over the railings.  Will be reported.  It was asked if any decisions had been made about Halstead Hospital’s future and it was said that meetings had taken place but no decisions had been made.  Clinics and outpatients departments at the front of the building will remain but the wards at the rear may be sold if they cannot be re-used.  Ian asked if there was any news on the proposed Town Centre Revamp but as yet no further meetings had taken place.  Julia explained that the bench that HiB removed from Kings Road/Parsonage St. and repaired and refurbished was offered to HTC to replace the broken bench in St. Andrew’s Churchyard.  It had somehow been put forward as a ‘Jubilee Bench’ and there had been some resistance from public and Councillors for this.  HTC may have another use for the bench to replace another broken bench outside Queen’s Hall.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.45 p.m.

Next team meeting on Thursday 31st March 2022. 6.00p.m. at Royal British Legion Club, The Causeway.  

All further meetings will be on last Thursday of the month at RBL Club starting at 6pm unless otherwise notified.


 Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk     

 Facebook: halsteadinbloom.   

Instagram @halsteadinbloom
Join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity

Minutes of Meeting February 2022

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

Minutes of a meeting 23rd February 2022  7.30p.m. at Royal British Legion Club

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.   Meeting followed AGM 2021.

Minutes of meeting of 23rd January 2022 had been circulated and were adopted.

UPDATES.  *David has booked the Con Club for Friday 14th October as agreed.  Annie and Mike will assist with entrance and raffle.  *Van has been booked at just insurance and diesel costs from EA Van Hire, Weavers’ Court.  *Footpath from Kings Road to Doctors’ Surgery – this footpath was put in by developer who has now no interest.  BDC say that they can’t manage it; HTC is exploring possibilities but no agreement so far. Post meeting note:  Billy offered to cut back the brambles to make the footpath safe.  Work to be done on Sunday 27/2.  *Holy Trinity School Gardening Club- Chris says that this will be up and running very shortly and has asked if HiB could purchase a polytunnel for their use.  Officers have agreed to this spend and all agreed that this would be good use of funds. *Total for calendar sales 2022 now stands at £453.00 profit – not sure if there is any more to come in from Phil the Egg Man and there will be further cash from Thelma.

NEWS:  *We are due to receive the first part of the Community Grant from Colchester Road Co-op in April having been accepted for funding from 2022.  A team member has donated £270 to HiB as she is in awe of the work done by volunteers.  * We were asked to support the Halstead Horticultural Society by sponsoring their schedules again this year, this has been agreed.  *We have booked in for a free event to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee on Saturday 4th June.  This will be similar to the Christmas Fayre and we will be selling plants as well as some hand-made items. It was suggested that we might sell some table decorations made under Joan’s guidance.  Possibility to be explored.  We will be based opposite Costa as usual.

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM Campaign 2022. 4 places have been booked and paid for to attend the Spring Launch of Anglia in Bloom on 24th March at Hyde Hall.  Jenny Brimley has asked for one place, and Annie has said she would like to attend.  Margaret E and Margaret T also asked for places.  At present there are just 4 places available – team will be told if more places can be booked. * BDC has asked if we will enter the Public Gardens, the Cemetery, Mill Chase and possibly the River Walk.  HTC will be asked if they would like the St. Andrew’s churchyard to be entered. (These ‘additional categories’ will all be judged virtually we understand and there will be a cost of £20 per entry).

EVENTS.  *Community Litter Pick – Sunday 27th February. Meet 10.30 at Sainsbury’s Car Park.  *Jubilee Events:  As well as the Fayre on Saturday there may be other events taking place.  To be advised.

*Keep Britain Tidy’s Great British Spring Clean Event will take place this year from 25th March to 10th April.  There will be our usual Community Litter Pick on 27th March and the working party on 5th April will also be a litter pick event.  Chris is to send note to local paper and post on Facebook.  *We have agreed to take part in the Flower Festival to be held at St. Andrew’s Church on 8th/9th/10th July.  The theme is ‘Songs of Praise’ so I’m sure that Joan has thinking cap on!  She will appreciate ideas on this theme. *Margaret T has been told that there will be a Fete in Halstead Public Gardens on 25th June to celebrate the Royal British Legion. 
WORKING  PARTIES Joan  gave a resume of the planting for summer 2022 with some themed areas for the Jubilee celebrations namely the ‘badge bed’ in Halstead Public Gardens and the Loom garden.  Joan asked team to collect small white bottle tops and milk bottle tops for the Badge Bed.  The colours in Town Centre and other areas will be red/gold/cream – regal colours.  Working Parties for the next month will be: 1st March (St. David’s Day and Pancake Tuesday!) Halstead Public Gardens and Bluebridge.  Tuesday 8th March Public Gardens and Bluebridge.  15th March Deadheading.  22nd March Clearing the River Bank near to Peter Robertson’s  29th March River Bank again 5th April Litter Picking for the Great British Spring Clean.  Margaret E also noted that some work will be required in car park near to Thelma as a tree has come down. 

HIB GOING FORWARD  Joan and Julia attended the Town Council meeting on 14th February where a report was before Council to give HiB money to purchase in sub-contractors for necessary work.  Julia spoke during Public Question Time and said that money was not what was required from Council but support will be necessary if Halstead in Bloom is to continue with entry to prestigious In Bloom campaigns.  There was a proposal to re-write the Partnership Agreements and a meeting has been called for further discussion on this matter on 3rd March.

ANY  OTHER  BUSINESS.    Colin said that he has been told informally that the Local Garden Competition 2022 will not be judged by independent judges as has been the case in previous years.  Margaret, Helen, Billy and Karyn explained that they had one meeting so far and thought it would be better – as there were only 6 entries in 2021 – to try and have a more relaxed and information competition with less rigid criteria.  This would be tried for one year and if the idea didn’t work then something else would be tried for the future.  Karyn said the team were trying to encourage everyone of all ages to take part and brighten the environment.  Colin was assured that the competition would be judged fairly but Colin was not happy that it would not be independently judged.  The Local Garden Competition team will meet again before next HiB meeting and the L.G.C. team will give further information then.  Annie noted that the area in front of the former Premaberg building has been cleaned and tidied with paving slabs put back in better positions.  Fiona noted that most of the litter bins that are hung on lampposts do not have lids so that in windy conditions the contents tend to blow away and cause litter.  Fiona asked if this could be addressed clarification will be sought.  Fiona also noted that many street signs are in a dirty and unkempt state.  (This is ECC Highways responsibility).Linda asked where matters of Highway/Pavement defects can be reported and was told that there are reporting facilities on the Essex County Council web site, or ring Halstead Town Council and they will report.  Linda also spoke about the seats that HiB installed at the rear of the Hospital and said they were well used and still looked clean and tidy.  Cigarette bins are being fully used.   Jean asked if the Local Garden Competition this year will include allotments and was told that it will. Margaret T noted that there is part of an inspection box from the electricity sub-station near to the Town Bridge lying over the railings.  Will be reported.  It was asked if any decisions had been made about Halstead Hospital’s future and it was said that meetings had taken place but no decisions had been made.  Clinics and outpatients departments at the front of the building will remain but the wards at the rear may be sold if they cannot be re-used.  Ian asked if there was any news on the proposed Town Centre Revamp but as yet no further meetings had taken place.  Julia explained that the bench that HiB removed from Kings Road/Parsonage St. and repaired and refurbished was offered to HTC to replace the broken bench in St. Andrew’s Churchyard.  It had somehow been put forward as a ‘Jubilee Bench’ and there had been some resistance from public and Councillors for this.  HTC may have another use for the bench to replace another broken bench outside Queen’s Hall.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.45 p.m.

Next team meeting on Thursday 31st March 2022. 6.00p.m. at Royal British Legion Club, The Causeway.  

All further meetings will be on last Thursday of the month at RBL Club starting at 6pm unless otherwise notified.


 Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk     

 Facebook: halsteadinbloom.   

Instagram @halsteadinbloom
Join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity

Minutes of 2022 AGM

HALSTEAD  IN  BLOOM

MINUTES OF ANNUAL  GENERAL  MEETING 2021
23rd February 2022.

Apologies received:  There were some apologies from team members and apologies from President David Hume.


Chairman Margaret Eskins welcomed all present
 and acknowledged that this was a different AGM from normal but that it did still comply with our Constitution.

Chairman Margaret Eskins gave a brief review of 2020 and 2021 which were, she said,  very different but still busy years.  Chairman noted that the planting and maintenance done by Halstead in Bloom had been very much appreciated by residents and by visitors.  Chairman thanked the team for their wonderful efforts and congratulated them on their hard work.

Secretary Julia Smith gave a report of events over the past year with some brief details of events in which HiB took part and brief details of some monies spent.
A financial report
was given by Treasurer – copies of all reports were available and further copies can be supplied.  Accounts will be scrutinised by Cllr Radley  – Chairman of Halstead TC as sponsorship in kind. Accounts will be posted on the Charity Commission web site. It was noted that the team still has a 1 year cushion of finances as required by Charity Commission and Halstead in Bloom is thankful for the support of local business and residents.  Treasurer’s report is attached.

Election of Officers. There were no nominations for Chairman so existing Chairman.  Margaret Eskins  indicated that she would be willing to serve for a further year as Chairman of Halstead in Bloom.  Nomination of Margaret Eskins as Chairman for 2022 was made by Margaret Tyler                  and seconded by  Ian Jarvis. Vote for proposal was unanimous.  Margaret Eskins was elected as Chairman of Halstead in Bloom 2022.

It had been decided during the past year that there should be deputies for each Officer.  Mike Rees had volunteered to stand as Deputy for Chairman.  There were no other nominations.  Nomination of Mike Rees as Deputy Chairman was proposed by Julia Smith and seconded by           Margaret Tyler.  Vote for proposal was unanimous.  Mike Rees will stand as Deputy Chairman for 2022.

There had been no nominations for Secretary or Treasurer so existing Secretary/Treasurer  Julia Smith  indicated that she would be willing to serve for a further year as Secretary/Treasurer of Halstead in Bloom.  Nomination of Julia Smith for post of Secretary/Treasurer for 2022 was made by  Mick Rees and seconded by  Ian Jarvis. Vote for proposal was unanimous.  Julia Smith will stand as Secretary/Treasurer for 2022.

There were no nominations for Deputy Secretary but Annie Rees said she would be prepared to take on responsibility for sponsors and a team comprising Helen, Karyn, Margaret and Billy said they would take on responsibility for Local Garden Competition.  Vote for these changes was unanimous. 
There were no nominations for Deputy Treasurer but Cllr Mick Radley had volunteered to assist with work of Treasurer.  Discussions took place about this being a conflict of interest but it was decided that this assistance would be trialled for a year to see if this was successful.

Appoint Assistance for Joan As Joan did not attend the meeting due to an eye operation that day it was decided to leave this matter in abeyance until next HiB meeting.

Any Other Business Debra had suggested that a Volunteer Welcome Pack should be made available for all new volunteers.  This was thought to be an excellent idea and a sample pack had been made.  Don looked at it and thought it would be worthwhile and Karyn asked if she could keep the sample.  Further packs will be prepared.  Debra also suggested that the town be split into different areas with one, or a team, of people managing each area.  This matter was left in abeyance for next HiB meeting.

Chairman thanked all for their input and attendance at the AGM.

AGM was closed at. 7.55pm.

Minutes for January 2022

Minutes of a meeting 25th January 2022  7.30p.m. at Royal British Legion Club

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.   

Minutes of meeting of 25th November 2021 and of extraordinary meeting on 6th January 2022 had been circulated and were adopted.

UPDATES.  * Letter was received from Halstead Town Council thanking HiB volunteers for assisting at the Torchlight Procession in December.  The amount collected at the event was £1068.39 which, together with any other money collected this year will go to Halstead Day Centre.  * Email was received from Friends of St. Andrew’s church thanking HiB for assisting at the Christmas Tree Event and for sponsoring the programme.  It was thought that over 1000 people visited the church during the 3 days and the winners of the Favourite Tree were Holy Trinity School.  *Christmas Tea. All present thought that this was a very enjoyable event – a change from the usual Christmas Dinner, very relaxed and with excellent food.  Margaret T was thanked for organising the tea and many present expressed a hope that similar events could take place later in the year.  Jenny B has suggested a Picnic in the Park event in the summer, just as a chance to get together; this to be discussed at next month’s meeting.  *New Sponsors.  Crownlea the company that has taken the former Barclays Bank premises and the former Premaberg building have offered sponsorship of some planters at the front of the Bank building and for the three large tubs that formerly held magnolia trees.  They have offered £250 for sponsoring both areas.  Plaques have been ordered and both areas will be planted when weather is suitable. *Bench from Kings Road.  Graham has repaired and refurbished the seat and it has been offered to Halstead Town Council to replace the broken seat in St. Andrew’s Churchyard – good ‘reduce, re-use, recycling’!!     *Statement to HTC and note to BDC.  As agreed at the extraordinary meeting Secretary made a statement at Town Council Meeting regarding Halstead in Bloom and reasons for not entering the Town into Anglia in Bloom 2022.  Councillors expressed their wish to see HiB continue and wanted to support volunteers.  This matter will be discussed further at next Town Council meeting on 14th February, 7.15pm at Queen’s Hall.  BDC was also advised of plans going forward and Secretary will meet with BDC representative on 28th January to discuss what support BDC will give to HiB.     *Note has been received from Royal British Legion thanking HiB for support at the poppy appeal 2021.  The amount raised in our box was £162.11.
ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM Campaign 2022. As agreed Anglia in Bloom has been advised that Halstead will not be entering the 2022 campaign but it has been decreed that it will be possible to make some ‘additional category’ entries at a cost of £20 per entry and these will be judged virtually.  The ‘additional categories’ are:

Parks; Care or Nursing Home; Cemeteries/Graveyards/Crematoria; Churchyard; Nature Conservation/Nature Reserve; Pubs/Restaurants/Hotels; Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Display.  Further HiB discussions to take place.

There will be an Anglia in Bloom Spring Launch event taking place on 24th March at RHS Hyde Hall.  Places will be limited and charge will be £20 per head to cover beverages on arrival and a working lunch.  There will be speakers and tours of the gardens may be arranged (possibly at additional cost).  Please advise Chairman if you wish to attend.  Further details at next meeting.

CALENDAR 2022.  Analysis shows that sales exceeded cost.  At end of year ‘profit’ was £149.00 but additional £40 has been received from Halstead TC and £120 from Greenstead Green.  It is believed that there is still money to come in from Halstead Icing, possibly Willow and Gray and perhaps from Phil the Egg Man.  Enquiries to be made.  Further discussions will need to take place on Calendar for 2023.  We have a couple of excellent photos so far but need many more in order to have good choices.  Our first Halstead Calendar was produced for 2003 so we have produced 20 years worth.  A calendar 2022 was sent to Halstead in Kent and the Clerk there emailed back to Halstead TC to say thank you and commented that the calendar had ‘brightened her day’.  She said it was good to see the town and noted that she fields several enquiries meant for Halstead, Essex!!  No comment has yet been received from Halstead, Kansas, USA.

EVENTS.  *Community Litter Pick – Sunday 30th January. Meet 10.30 at Sainsbury’s Car Park.
*Halstead Marathon will take place on Sunday 8th May and HiB has been asked if we will again help to marshall.   Several HiB volunteers have already come forward and Race Organiser has been advised that we will help.  It was noted that Halstead Road Runners have supported HiB in the past with cash donations and there will be a runner in the London Marathon 2022 running on behalf of HiB.
*Jubilee Events.  Full details of what is taking place have not yet been published, but it is thought that there will be 4 days of celebration over the Jubilee Holiday – 2nd/3rd/4th/5th June.  A beacon will be lit (Halstead beacon is at the Fire Station), HAPPY will have an event, Beavers will organise an event, there will be choir events and possibly communities will want to hold tea parties, etc.   It has been advised that there will be no May Day event this year.

WORKING  PARTIES Joan said that there is more work to do at the Road Runners’ Bed and that for the time being there will be ‘as and when’ working.  Please let Joan know if there is anything that needs to be done and advise of what is being done.           Plans for 2022:  Joan said that she has plans for a Jubilee display along Solar Wall with colours of purple and platinum and a depiction of the Jubilee Emblem.  The plane will transmogrify into a Red Arrow and there will be paintings of the Red Arrows.  Decision hasn’t yet been made about the bed in Public Gardens nor at the Loom.

HIB GOING FORWARD  At the meeting on 6th January it was decided that HiB will have some fund raising events in 2022.  A cake stall was agreed for 16th April (Easter Saturday).  A plant sale was agreed for 21st May and an autumn plant sale on 22nd October. (Summer plants will be collected on 28th May and winter plants collected on 29th October.  David will arrange a Quiz Night on 14th October at the Con Club.   Awards will be held sometime in October/November tba.  Joan will order in some plug plants for the May plant sale and it is hoped that some of the team will be able to take them and grow them on.  Any other donations of plants/shrubs will be appreciated.  Any donations of cakes for the April stall will be much appreciated.

ANY  OTHER  BUSINESS.    *It has been noted that Friends of Halstead Hospital are looking for support to keep the wards at Halstead Hospital open in some way.  Team asked Secretary to write a letter of support to the NHS/Friends.      *At a recent Partnership meeting Joan suggested that residents of Halstead should be encouraged to write to the owner of Townsford Mill to deplore the state of the Mill building and surrounding buildings and grounds and ask that some repairs/refurbishment be effected as soon as possible.  This is an iconic Halstead building, much photographed and visited, and should be preserved.  The condition of the fence surrounding the rear car park is deplored and the car park and surrounding area near to the Halstead Icing building is in a dangerous condition. As far as is known the owner of the Mill still lives at Anstey Hall, Maris Lane, Trumpington, Cambridge CB2 9LG.       *Margaret T noted that the dumped tyres are still at the site of the proposed Halstead Community Hub. Has been reported.  Margaret also noted that a battery in a cardboard box has been dumped in Trinity Court Car Park.  Will be reported.  *Eileen spoke about the Braintree Local Plan where part 1 was accepted by the Inspector but part 2 needs modifications.  Originally it was stated in the plan that retention and refurbishment of ‘at least 1 of the air raid shelters’ on land East of High Street was planned which meant that there was no surety that all shelters would be protected, however in the revised plan it was noted that  ‘the air raid shelters’ should be retained and refurbished but still no guarantee that the over ground shelter will be safe.  21st C group will petition the Inspector to ensure that matter is clarified.  Any support will be welcomed.  Eileen said that part of the land had been sold at auction and some clearance had been done.  There is no planning application at present and it is thought there are covenants in place and that some drainage will need to take place.  *Mike announced that there will be a Halstead Flower Festival at St. Andrew’s Church on 8th/9th/10th July and help from HiB volunteers will be appreciated.  Please contact Mike on mirees100@hotmail.com or 01787 828642 if you can assist. *Linda noted that the footpath in Colne Road outside the cemetery is covered in leaf litter and is very slippery when frosty/wet.  Joan noted similar conditions in Parsonage St. near to the 3 large tubs and also on the footpath from Parsonage St. to Weavers’ Court. All have been reported.  *Joan noted that Ruth has advised that all plants required for the summer will be available (apart from some dichondra but these can be replaced with different plants).  *Joyce noted that the footpath between the Surgery car park and Kings Road is very overgrown and it’s impossible to pick litter out of the brambles.  Joyce also noted some fly tipping on Mount Hill – residents have left old fencing on the bank when replacing garden fences. Both have been reported.  *Margaret E has had reports of chewing gum left on pavements.  Has been reported.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 840. p.m.

Next team meeting on Wednesday 23rd February 2022. .30p.m. at Royal British Legion Club, The Causeway.  
 This will also be our Annual General Meeting.   All Officers will, as our Constitution determines, retire at the next Annual General Meeting although may indicate that they are prepared to stand again and at that time Officers for the following year will be elected.    Please forward any nominations for Officer (Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer) to Secretary by Monday 21st February.  Voting will take place at AGM.  
Discussions took place about future venues for meetings as RBL Club is now closed on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.  It was said that the Club is preferred venue. Secretary to speak to Secretary of Club to see what can happen for the future.
Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070

www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk                                                                                                Facebook: halsteadinbloom.   
Join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity
 to donate via Co-op purchases.

Minutes of 28th October 2021

Minutes of a meeting 28th October 2021 7.30p.m. at Royal British Legion Club

 Chairman, welcomed all present and accepted apologies from those who could not attend.   
Chairman congratulated Billy on the Award for Best School Garden in London given to the school where he is caretaker and leader of the gardening club.  Well done Billy and children.

Minutes of meeting of 30th September 2021 had been circulated and were adopted.

UPDATES.  *Community Centre Ground. This area has been tidied at the personal expense of one of the Trustees.  Team expressed thanks to this Trustee for her efforts.  *Kerb stones out of alignment.  ECC Highways were informed of location but nothing has been heard back. *Plant Stall. Just over £200 was taken on the day with other sales post plant sale day amounting to just over £27 with more to be added.  Sale was deemed to have been worthwhile.  Carol offered to take some of the indoor plants to keep overwinter for the proposed spring plant sale. *Butler Road hedges- matter was discussed at recent Partnership meeting and it was said that HTC could write to owner of the hedge that is overgrowing the footpath and if no action is taken then ECC could cut back hedge and charge householder if it is deemed to obstruct the pavement.  It was noted that the hedge at top of Factory Lane West is causing difficulties for pedestrians; this is verge area and will be reported.  *Ivy over footways. This has been cleared by Eastlight contractors. *Weed Buster machine has been trialled in Halstead but results not known.  At Partnership meeting it was said that surface weeds are dealt with but machines tried don’t grub out roots so results are not long lasting.  Other weed control methods have been tried. *Trinity Flats area has been tidied but suggestions were given to further enhance the area.  It was noted that although HiB gave some cash for planting in the beds at Trinity Flats car park it does not seem to have been used and the beds are not in good condition.  Will be reported. *Buddleia on footway at River Walk should have been cut back now (my fault it wasn’t done earlier as I neglected to report it, apologies).  *Containers for top of High Street (outside nail bar/T-shirt printers).  There is an area of private land that will take a couple of half barrels – these to be purchased for summer planting; shop to care for planting.  *Bench at Parsonage Street now has a licence to be renewed as a memorial to Linda McCarthy.  Bench and plaque are ordered and contractor ready to install.  Existing bench will be removed and it was agreed that this could be placed at the Resource Centre when the gazebo is removed. 

ANGLIA  IN  BLOOM Virtual Campaign 2021. Results to be published on Anglia in Bloom web page and Facebook page on Friday 29thPost meeting note: they are there and Halstead has been awarded a Gold mark.  Results of the Neighbourhood judging are also on the sites.  There is to be a Spring Launch for Anglia in Bloom 2022 on 24th March at RHS Hyde Hall, Essex and certificates for the ’21 campaign will be presented at this event.  The Awards Day for 2022 event will be on 7th September ’22 at Orsett Hall, Essex – not so much travelling for us next year!!    It has been made known by Anglia in Bloom that the entrants designated for RHS Britain in Bloom in 2019 will also be invited to take part for 2022 (that includes Halstead).  Team agreed that they would like to take part, but felt that statutory bodies will need to give assistance in areas such as weeding, painting/renewing of street furniture, etc.  Further discussions to take place!

CALENDAR 2022.  Calendar is now on sale at Halstead Icing, Hardys Menswear, Phil the Egg Man, Halstead Town Council, Greenstead Green P.O. Stores and Willow and Gray.  So far, on our stalls, we have sold 123 calendars so several more to sell.  It was agreed that we should try having Fridays and at Chapel Street Car Park.  So for Friday 5th November (at Chapel Street). I have 9-10 Carol and Pat; 10-11 Chris and Nicky; 11-12 Margaret T and Ian; 12-1 Fiona and Julia.  We will use this as a trial event and maybe have other Friday stalls.  If weather is not good we will have to transfer to usual place outside Solar – watch the WhatsApp group for details.  On  6/11 at Solar – 9-10 Linda and Sue; 10-11  Nicky and Margaret T;  11-12 Annie and Mick; 12-1 Alan  and Margaret E.  On 13/11 at Solar- 9-10 Linda and Annie; 10-11  Don and Joan; 11-12  David and Barry; 12-1 Margaret E and Ian.  On 20/11 outside Solar- 9-10 Linda and Joan; 10-11  Don and Helen; 11-12   Billy and Karyn; 12-1  Margaret E and Ian.  27/11 – This is the Christmas Fayre. Starting at 9.  Joan, Annie and Mick; 10-11  Linda, Joyce and Sue; 11-12  Debra and ??  12-1 Ian and David; 1-2 Billy and Karyn; 2-3 Linda and Tony; 3-4 Graham and Julia.  Just the one space to fill on 27th, offers please! 
EVENTS.  *Community Litter Pick – Sunday 31st October. Meet 10.30 at Sainsbury’s Car Park.  *Remembrance names will be placed at WW1 memorial (St. Andrew’s churchyard) on Monday 8th November starting at 10am.  They will need to be spaced out a bit more than last year to allow people to move and view and place wreaths on the memorial. WWII names will be placed on the same day.  We will put our poppy fall on the railings of HPG as we did last year, that will be probably w/e 6th/7th November.  David spoke about the poppies placed on lamp posts in Witham with names of fallen and questioned whether we might think of something similar for another year.  We guess that we will have to seek permissions for this.  *Event arranged by 21st C group at Empire Theatre on 17th November.  Local author James Canton will be speaking about Ancient Oaks and Other Wonders of North Essex.  Doors open at 7.00pm for 7.30pm start.  Admission is free.  Email info@halstead21stcentury.org.uk or phone 07842907501 to book a place. *Christmas Fayre.  Is  27th November and there will be stalls in Weavers Court, behind the gates (hope the grass gets cut!!).  We will need to move the plane to accommodate stalls (this is in hand). *Torchlight Procession is on 1st December.  8 of the team have volunteered to act as marshalls/collectors and as far as I know we will need to be on the Hill for 6.30pm.  *Christmas Tree event in St. Andrew’s Church is planned for 26th/27th/28th November.  HiB will have a tree and has booked an ‘advert’ in the programme.  Margaret T noted that youth groups haven’t yet been invited to take part – Mike and Annie to chase this up.  *There will be some Christmas trees in Holy Trinity Church, some trees and decorations have been retained in the church from previous years and HiB will have a working party on the afternoon of 23rd November to set up a display.  Speaking events: HiB team has been booked to speak at U3A AGM on 5th April ’22; Tollesbury Gardening Club on 25th April ’22 and Great Notley Gardening Club on 12th October ’22.  There may also be a booking for West Bergholt Flower Club date to be advised.  It was agreed that our presentation needs to be revamped, team will meet to discuss.
HiB Christmas ‘do’  It won’t be possible to have the usual dinner, open to all, this year as St. Andrew’s Church Hall will be too small for a socially distanced event and it isn’t possible to have a full meal at Queen’s Hall.  It is thought that perhaps an afternoon tea might be a nice idea just to celebrate success of 2021 and look forward to 2022.  Margaret T to explore options. 

PLANT  COLLECTION Plants due to be collected on Saturday 30th October.  Van booked. Please meet at Gate House (next to Fire Station) at 10.30am to help sort the 6,500 plants! 
Planting will be on Sunday 31st. Those helping to set out please meet on Town Bridge at 9am.  Those planting from 10.15 onwards, meet at Town Bridge.  Please bring gloves and hand tools (and steps for Bridge planting).

WORKING  PARTIES From 2nd November working parties will be for planting.  We will be selling calendars at Priory hall on 4th November so anyone available to assist will be welcome.  Hopefully planting will be complete by 18th November so that the Road Runners’ bed can be tidied. 23rd November will be at Holy Trinity Church (see above) and 25th November will be setting up tree(s) at St. Andrew’s Church.  After that work will be as and when required.

ANY  OTHER  BUSINESS.    *Margaret T noted that the Halstead Horticultural Society will be having their autumn show on 13th November at Queen’s Hall.  HiB to sell calendars (let me know if you can help).  Schedules will be sent round.  *Fiona spoke about cars/parked on verge at Parsonage Street.  This was raised at Partnership meeting but land is owned by Essex CC and it seems that nothing can be done to stop this erosion of the verge and dangerous blocking of sight line.  *Alan asked if the cart at Blamsters Crescent is due for a revamp but it was thought it is in an OK condition for now.  *Karyn and Billy offered to help on Saturdays when required – Billy offered to cut back vegetation opposite the Empire and in Factory Lane West if necessary.  *Carol says she has been given a donation from Barbara Coe and will hand this in over the weekend.  She also asked if Holy Trinity School Gardening Club had made requests for grants for the required poly tunnel.  Christine said that the Gardening Club hadn’t yet started up and that there were no funds for the Club so she wasn’t sure of the future. (Margaret T said that the future of Halstead Brownies and Rainbows wasn’t sure because fees have been set so high for future).  *Julia spoke about the Local Community Fund set up by the National Co-op Society and noted that a further payment of £662.28 is due to be paid this month.  There will be a presentation ‘do’ sometime between 18th and 20th November, no details to hand as yet.  HiB has been made a recipient of the Local Community Fund for 21/22.  Julia then spoke about Halstead in Bloom going forward.  It was said that recent events and recent difficulties encountered by local groups have highlighted that HiB must make plans for the future, for instance if/when HiB comes to an end.  Our constitution says that any assets should be ‘given or transferred to such other charitable institution or institutions having objects similar to the objects of the Charity’  All were asked to consider this point and what would be desirable.  Chairman asked what thoughts the team have about future workings and noted that some members aren’t able to work as previously and asked for considerations about what the team should be tackling. Do we do too much?  Should we be tackling weed clearing and painting?  If the answer is no, and if these duties can’t be carried out by statutory bodies should we still be entering Anglia in Bloom and if asked RHS Britain in Bloom?  Team felt that entering gives a focus for efforts but that some decisions would have to be made.  All are urged to consider and pass on thoughts to Trustees.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.58 p.m.

Next team meeting on   Thursday 25th November  7.30p.m. at Royal British Legion Club, The Causeway.    
Contacts:  Margaret Eskins Chairman.  01787 269443;  Julia Smith, Secretary. 0776 2587141 / 01787461806. e-mail jaygrey@btinternet.com; Joan Gibson, plants and working parties. 01787 473070www.halsteadinbloom.org.uk                                                                                                Facebook: halsteadinbloom.
Join membership of National Co-op (Colchester Road)   and note HiB as your preferred charity
 to donate via Co-op purchases

« Older posts

© 2022 Halstead In Bloom

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑